How to create a combined x86 and x64 Windows 7 installation DVD

Associate
Here's my solution:

bdr1b7.jpg

So, with this DVD you can install any version of Windows 7. Plus, you have the option to boot directly into recovery environment for both x64 and x86 without evening launching the installation. All done using free MS tools.

The only thing you lose is the option to upgrade (I prefer clean install anyway).

Edit: Haven't included these instructions in OP, but if there's a lot of demand I can update OP. It's fairly technical though, so be prepared to get your hands dirty. :p
how do you solved this problem? have you added something into the "custom" iso? and what?
thx

Associate
First post and already asking for something ;)

Hello Explicit,

Thanks for the topic this will make my life at work much easier look forward to giving this a try in the morning. One request can you post a tutorial or notes on how to get the recovery options onto the boot menu as that will be the icing on the cake :)

I have downloaded the recovery ISO's that are available for both 32 and 64bit but cannot see how to integrate them into the boot menu. I'm guessing I need to edit the BCD but could do with some pointers.

Thanks in advance.

Soldato
Edit: Haven't included these instructions in OP, but if there's a lot of demand I can update OP. It's fairly technical though, so be prepared to get your hands dirty. :p
Hi, if you could update the OP with the extra info that would be great. I've no problems with getting my hands dirty, I'm imagine it's similar to tinkering with GRUB or Syslinux?

Associate
First thanks for the great explanations here to combine images.

I tried to combine x32 an x64 ultimate versions and that works fine. I only have one other problem. I would like to combine those two version with unattended settings. Problem is that the autounattend.xml is in the root of the dvd and has different settings for the two versions. Has anyone a idee how to solve this. Please remember i'm not a professional.

Associate
Here's my solution:

bdr1b7.jpg

So, with this DVD you can install any version of Windows 7. Plus, you have the option to boot directly into recovery environment for both x64 and x86 without evening launching the installation. All done using free MS tools.

The only thing you lose is the option to upgrade (I prefer clean install anyway).

Hi Explicit, I know this is an oldish thread but I am also interested in your solution for adding the recovery environment, I found your tutorial on the all in one Win7 disc/USB very helpful.

Cheers

Soldato
I have Windows 7 Ultimate 32 and 64-bit ISO images. All I wanted is to be able to choose to install either 32-bit or 64-bit Ultimate.

I tried the above guide, deleted the cfg file, but I get this message: "Windows could not collect information for [OSImage] since the specified image file [install.wim] does not exist."

/rage

Back
Top Bottom