How to debug/ test websites

Associate
Just looking for some advice on how you guys do this.

I though I had most bases covered. I have ie7 ie8 firefox chrome opera on a vista machine and firefox safari on mac.

I also use browser shots.org to check things out. I have done a test site for a client that they are saying isn't displaying right in ie8 on xp . Its a photo slider thats not working all the photos are underneath each other at the side of the page.

With out going out to the client how would you go about testing and fixing this?

tia

Soldato
I use an array of virtual machines each with a different OS, and have an array of browsers installed on those to test in.

There are tools which mock the results you'd see in certain browsers (such as IETester) but you can't rely 100% on these. Specifically in the case of IETester, it's JS implementation seems to have little in common with what happens in native IE6/7/8.

Associate
OP
Cheers Spunkey Is it expensive to go down the virtual machine route?

I have tried IETester and cant replicate the problem

Associate
OP
Cheers Spunkey. Got it well had to get virtual pc 2007 which was free and then the file from that site worked.

No errors on my virtual box and no errors on a proper xp machine with ie8 on must be something local to the environment thats causing it.

Back
Top Bottom