How to downgrade the version history of Windows 10?

Associate
Hi all

I have always been keen to keep up with the latest updates on my own PC and it is currently using Windows 10 Home version 22H2 (19045). The problem I am having is that my work have got an authentication system which checks the spec of my PC and it has to pass in order for me to access my e-mails. This system is however reporting a problem with my PC that the Windows version is not correct and it should be version 21H2 (19044). My work have so far not been very helpful and have left me unable to access my e-mails!

Any ideas on how to take the version back to 19044 instead of 19045? I also need to find a way to prevent it automatically updating to the latest version again.

Thanks

Soldato
Hi all

I have always been keen to keep up with the latest updates on my own PC and it is currently using Windows 10 Home version 22H2 (19045). The problem I am having is that my work have got an authentication system which checks the spec of my PC and it has to pass in order for me to access my e-mails. This system is however reporting a problem with my PC that the Windows version is not correct and it should be version 21H2 (19044). My work have so far not been very helpful and have left me unable to access my e-mails!

Any ideas on how to take the version back to 19044 instead of 19045? I also need to find a way to prevent it automatically updating to the latest version again.

Thanks
Is there not an option to remove the feature update under windows updates?

Another site below that has steps on how to remove the 22H2 update

hope this helps.

Associate
OP
I have investigated that already and it only works within a certain timeframe - the update has already been there too long.

I did find a way to get rid of the update but it took my PC back to far and then the version was too old to comply with the system. When I tried to update it again, it put the 22H2 update back on and skipped the 21H2 update. Is there a way of applying these updates manually so I can pick the one I need?

Man of Honour
The only way to comprehensively prevent Windows 10 applying updates is to use Windows Update Blocker by Sordum and while I believe that it is free of malware, etc. that leaves you having to rely on 3rd party software of unknown origin :(

That won't help with the downgrading bit though.

Soldato
How does the authentication system work? Do you access it via the browser or is it software provided by work? Seems a bit weird it's only looking for a certain version of W10.

Soldato
What app software your workplace used to access emails?

Latest version of Windows 10 and 11 should work too and also iOS, Android, ChromeOS, Linux and MacOS worked fine with access to work emails.

Associate
Hi all

Thanks
Is it OpSwat they’re using by any chance?

Associate
OP
It is a multi-factor authentication system. As part of the process, you have to register you PC with the 'company portal app' that is built into Windows 10 so they are able to monitor what version of the operating system you are using before you are allowed to log in. That is as much as I know about the thing, other than it being a pain and it feels like they have taken over my PC to some extent. It returns an error if my PC does not meet their specified criteria which it doesn't as the Win 10 update is too new to be recognised.

Man of Honour
Probably going to have to find a (legit) download of the 21H2 media, install that with internet connectivity disconnected so it can't update then block updates until the company updates their systems though I'd have thought they'd get that sorted fairly quickly.

EDIT: Though that might still not authenticate as the registered PC depending how the work system works - otherwise I'd have said install Windows 10 from an older installation media in a VM to use for work.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi all

Thanks

W10 Home 21H2 reaches end of life in June so your company will need to update the Compliance policy soon. I can understand a company enforcing a max OS version on corporate devices, but they should relax or remove the setting for personal devices, as home users aren't able to easily block feature updates.

One option is wait and hope they update the compliance policy, as they can't expect you to run an unsupported OS.

Another option is to uninstall the enablement package update KB5015684. Go to Settings, Windows Update, Update History and Uninstall Updates.

Last edited:
Soldato
Any ideas on how to take the version back to 19044 instead of 19045?

Can you run up a VM with the correct version of Windows?

But really, you should be keeping work and personal completely separate. Get work to supply you a NUC box or similar just for work. Then RDP into that to check you work mail and other work stuff.

Soldato
My work have so far not been very helpful and have left me unable to access my e-mails!

Can you get to you email from a web browser (outlook.office.com) or is this also blocked? How about a mobile device, register and create a work profile.

Like you, I'm unable to use a personal Windows device (compliance), so I access Outlook and Teams on my Android devices or web browsers on the same non-compliant Windows devices :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Can you run up a VM with the correct version of Windows?

My work supplied laptop is a decent spec for runnung VMs, better than any of my personal laptops with soldered storage and RAM.

I've done the reverse, converted the work physical image to virtual and installed my own OS for personal use. I load up the work VM for when I need to access work resources or apps I can't get to through the personal OS.

The laptop runs a lot cooler and quieter now, the work image was too resource intensive with multiple security apps running regular scans.

Last edited:
Soldato
It is a multi-factor authentication system. As part of the process, you have to register you PC with the 'company portal app' that is built into Windows 10 so they are able to monitor what version of the operating system you are using before you are allowed to log in. That is as much as I know about the thing, other than it being a pain and it feels like they have taken over my PC to some extent. It returns an error if my PC does not meet their specified criteria which it doesn't as the Win 10 update is too new to be recognised.
I had same issue 8 years ago with Steam Guard MFA registered Windows 10 1507 with my old email address as trusted device in 2015, months later after updated to version 1511 and Steam Guard did not recognised it because the information stored in previous version had been wiped out so I need to re-registered Steam Guard to log in my Steam account to played games.

Do your PC used Microsoft Authentication app to log in to accessed your work emails?

If so, click MFASetup below then sign in and log in with your work credentials.

https://aka.ms/MFASetup

If it say your device MFA is already registered, click Skip and you will see Additional security verification screen and find restore multi-factor authentication on previous trusted devices, click restore button under it and your Windows 10 22H2 will be successfully registered with MFASetup. You should be able to access your work emails on your Windows 10 22H2.

Also you can re-register MFA through PowerShell method.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom