How to find a cooker with a good grill for making toast

Associate
Hello
I'm choosing a new cooker and trying to find one with a grill that is properly controllable.
The best cooker I ever had had an eye level gas grill and was excellent for making toast.

I realise I will not find a modern good quality cooker with an eye level grill but the last two electric ovens with electric grills I owned were very bad at doing toast, or any grilling, yet I can't find any information on the internet about why that should be or how to be sure of a grill that works properly.

The single important factor seems to be that electric grill elements, although they claim to be controllable, actually only have two settings, on or off, and the thermostat switches on or off, which is supposed to regulate the heat, but all it does in practice is alternate between too hot and too cold with varying time differences in between.

How can I find out whether a cooker has a grill that is controllable between low, medium and hot, or better still, gradually controllable like my last gas grill? Can modern electric grills do this, or gas grills?

p { margin-bottom: 0.25cm; line-height: 120%; }

Associate
I can't help you find the right cooker for this, just wanted to say that I have never had toast as good as when it's been done on a gas grill. No idea why, but it's miles better than a toaster.

Man of Honour
You MUST ensure you ONLY put salted butter on too but when you do I promise you toast perfection. It toasts quickly too so keep a watching eye on it!

Enjoy.

Soldato
I still remember having Toast at my nans as a kid with what was probably an illegal grill. It tasted of 90% gas, but my god it was lovely covered in her homemade Loganberry Jam.

Associate
I realise I will not find a modern good quality cooker with an eye level
Surely this is more due to the positioning of the cooker in your kitchen? If you're 1 foot 7 then any grill is eye level.

However, decent toaster > grill any day. If you're serious about decent toast then surely this is the best option? Does both sides perfectly in a minute or so.

Soldato
Well £20 quid ones don't but there are some epic toasters out there.

Also,

Crosta & Mollica Pane Pugliese

THE finest toasting bread I have eaten in my 51 years.

And I have eaten a **** tonne of toast in 51 years :D

Is it possible to fall in love with someone over their bread recommendations?

Although I’ve just eaten almost a full pack and feel stuffed!

Soldato
You could get a worktop oven/grill, they're suppose to make very good toast. Something like a Sage-BOV820BSS-Smart-Oven can do 6 slices of toast at once. The bonus is having a second oven to compliment your main oven if you're cooking for a lot of people.

Associate
Well £20 quid ones don't but there are some epic toasters out there.

Also,

Crosta & Mollica Pane Pugliese

THE finest toasting bread I have eaten in my 51 years.

And I have eaten a **** tonne of toast in 51 years :D

Is it possible to fall in love with someone over their bread recommendations?

Although I’ve just eaten almost a full pack and feel stuffed!

I tried this for the first time this morning, after reading this thread a while back.

Wow! Never had toast like it. The crunch is increduble but it's not dry. It toasts to a lovely golden colour too!

Quite substantial. One of the larger slices in the pack was plenty for me. I will be having this again :)

Back
Top Bottom