How to fit a good in line bathroom fan in loft and reduce noise?

Soldato
When I did mine, the vent was out of the roof (of the house that is) so I went, bathroom ceiling vent > duct > inline fan > duct > roof vent

I used a manrose mf100t and cable tied it to one of the roof joists.

Looks a bit ****, but it's in the loft so don't really care, works great and hardly any noise.

Pho

Pho

Soldato
I recently installed a MF100S (not T) which was about £60. Once you put the (flexi) ducting on it's extremely quiet. Like above I ended up just hanging it with some cable ties off the purlins in the roof, but there's not really any vibration that comes off of it anyway so even mounting it straight onto the ceiling would likely not even be noticable.

Associate
Aye a bit expensive but I guess the equivalent would be the same sized 150mm fan from manrose. It's a bit of a monster size but we'll see how it performs. I already had a 150mm holesaw so that's saved me 30 quid

Ive never had the novelty of a bathroom without condensation problems! For an extra 100 quid or so it's inconsequential compared to the rest of my new small bathroom, all costs are mental at the moment. Think it's gonna cost me around 8k to 10k supply and labour for my bathroom and I did a lot of the fitting myself (got a tiler/Plumber in for some of the harder bits)

Due to the position of the roof tile outlet I think I'll need to mount it to the floor boards.

Honestly you won't need a 150mm fan, its overkill, especially if you are venting out of zone 1. These types of 100mm fans already move huge amounts of air (over 3x more) compared to the best in wall ones (with everything fitting in the 100mm profile). The manrose will do 245sqm of air per hour, so around 4sqm per minute. Typical bathroom is say 2m by 3m by 2.4m tall which is 14.4sqm of volume. So your 100mm fan under best conditions will be moving your whole bathrooms air every 3 and a half minutes roughly. Obviously there’s losses in pipe runs etc but you're talking about figures already where you will need air intakes into your bathroom (either a open window, vent grill on the door, open door) to enable the fan to run properly, never mind the air flow from a larger fan.

Soldato
OP
Fitted it!

Have to agree it was slightly OTT so gone for the lower speed setting. At least i think it's on lower setting..

Only issue I have is the old outlet leaks air back in. If I staple it back to felt and cover with duct tape is that sufficient

@Participant idea for using foam underneath the fan was a good one.

Cant hear any fan noise but the air movement noise is more of a deal than i appreciated!

Old outlet
cZ1n455.jpeg

Fan

nEppNy7.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom