How to fit a new outside light

Associate
Hello chaps, recently our existing outside light met an untimely end by something bashing into it and breaking it off the base plate -

3DQHs2w.jpg

Now I'd like to replace it with something a bit brighter, perhaps a low powered floodlight, I do a lot of outside cooking so it would be very helpful to have some more light. Nothing too powerful as we only have a very small garden and I don't want to **** off the neighbours.

Can I buy something better that will just fit in the existing location? I'd appreciate any help or recommendations as I am completely clueless when it comes to diy.

Thanks.

Associate
If you want to change to a flood light look for 1 with a flush base with the wiring connections to save trouble and look neater, if you get a more common flood light it will need an IP box and extending the cable in flex to the light

Something like this maybe LED, More on this page

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for your reply buddy, and after a bit of thought, I think a floodlight could be overkill.

So what I'm essentially thinking of now is just a standard outside light that would fit to the existing location and produce a lot more light than the paltry 60w bulb that is currently in there, it's a lantern style light and is pants.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Associate
You'll find virtually all outside lights have a similar setup to that one; wall bracket with 'chocolate block' type wiring connector. Just flip off the right lighting circuit at the fuse box, disconnect the current bracket and 3 x wires and replace.

Screwfix have a good range. If you buy a halogen GU10 light you can just replace with equivilent LED bulb - will massively reduce the running cost in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom