How to limit roaming profile sizes

Soldato
Hi all,

We have a number of users who's roaming profile is far too big (6 gig in one case!).... how can we limit the size of their roaming profile... like this:

http://www.tkk.fi/atk/windows/profile.html

Also, is there any easy way to delete the data from their profile without having to delete it from both the server and their local machine profile?

Thanks
Paul

Soldato
OP
One thing... the website says:

Reducing disk space use, profile size, and logon processing

To save disk space, you can use the Delete cached copies of roaming profiles policy setting to specify that locally cached versions of roaming user profiles be deleted when the user logs off. This setting is in the Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\User Profiles node of the Group Policy Object Editor snap-in.

How would this work with laptop users as they do not have a local account, just cached accounts. Im guessing this option would prevent them from being able to work offline, so we would only be able to set this on desktop users?

Permabanned
Not 100% on this, but I think it would be ok for laptops too, as it should merely delete the cached profile when the log on to the domain, so that it gets the fresh copy from the server.

As I say not 100% sure on it, but that is my semi-educated guess :)

Permabanned
The_KiD said:
Thats not limiting the size, that is just setting up a roaming profile.

That's not what I was getting at,
the profile is big, and gets loaded at logon.
if "my docs" is stored elsewhere, then it doesn't get loaded

then you map a drive to whatever server "my docs" is stored on

yes, it's not limiting the size, but the logon times are faster.
It wasn't clear from the OP what was causing the large profile, but usually it's the docs folder...

....then again, he wasn't actually asking for ways to make it smaller, oops
:)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Hmmm the delete cached doo dar applies only to computers, not users. This is a pain because our AD structure isnt great!

Unless it still alows laptop users to log on offline that is.

On that note, does anyone know how to find out what machine a user last logged on to?

Thanks

Permabanned
A[L]C said:
Hi all,

We have a number of users who's roaming profile is far too big (6 gig in one case!).... how can we limit the size of their roaming profile... like this:

http://www.tkk.fi/atk/windows/profile.html

Also, is there any easy way to delete the data from their profile without having to delete it from both the server and their local machine profile?

Thanks
Paul
use quotas on the folder.

Permabanned
Back
Top Bottom