How to make this cooler...

Permabanned
i bought a Swiftech H2O-220 Apex Ultima Watercooling Kit about 12 months ago, i have since changed my cpu and mobo, so i needed to buy a new water block, i bought the EK Supreme i7 and it works fine, i have tested my temps with coretemp 0.99.4 and my temps are 42,40,40,39.

my system is

Gigabyte GA-EX58-Extreme Intel X58
Intel Core i7 920 2.66Ghz
OCZ Blade Series 6GB

as far is i can see i have 3 choices (or all 3) lap the cpu, lap the waterblock, or change the standard rad to a deeper rad.

so my first question is, would a deeper rad like a Black Ice GT Xtreme 240 Radiator make any difference the standard swiftect rad? if so by how much?

and do you need to lap a I7 cpu?

and do you need to lap a EK supreme waterblock

Associate
There is a lapping guide in the stickies in this section :) The advanced guide to overclocking and cooling I think it is. Anyone Ive asked about lapping has said its improved temps, sombody even said theirs dropped 10C on each core from lapping CPU and cooler, though Im not sure how hot that was in the first place lol

Also, the deeper rads will make an improvement. The top 3 that I know of are by Thermochill, TFC and the XSPC RX series, all should improve your temps :)

Associate
Dont forget were in a heat wave at the moment! Temps are bound to be above normal whilst room temps are sat anything upto 10degress above their normal.
Maybe wait a little while to see how things settle down before you pull it to pieces and sand it down!

Soldato
The supreme isn't concave, it's convex, but you get the idea. Its bowed to make sure it makes very good contact in the middle, if it's flat and screwed down hard it'll tend to bend lifting the middle up. Imaging the copper flexing as the edges are pulled down, at the moment it tends to flatten. If you lap it, it'll tend to pull away from the core.

Lap both then don't screw down very hard, using a backplate would be fine I think, but it isn't recommended. Just lapping the cpu would be a good thing to do for temperatures.

Deeper rad will make a lot of difference if you're using 7V low static pressure fans, and rather less if you're using 12V high pressure high flow fans. What are you using, and are there shrouds between the radiator and the fans?

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
The supreme isn't concave, it's convex, but you get the idea. Its bowed to make sure it makes very good contact in the middle, if it's flat and screwed down hard it'll tend to bend lifting the middle up. Imaging the copper flexing as the edges are pulled down, at the moment it tends to flatten. If you lap it, it'll tend to pull away from the core.

Lap both then don't screw down very hard, using a backplate would be fine I think, but it isn't recommended. Just lapping the cpu would be a good thing to do for temperatures.

Deeper rad will make a lot of difference if you're using 7V low static pressure fans, and rather less if you're using 12V high pressure high flow fans. What are you using, and are there shrouds between the radiator and the fans?

i am using 2x 120mm fans 7v but i am not using any shrouds (should i try them first)
Temps today are at 38,38,39,35. so by the sounds of it i have either tightened the supreme down too much or i need a new rad, shrouds, better 120mm fans, or try a re-seat of the waterblock

Soldato
Nah, not tightened too much. If its bad contact, it means you've tightened it too little. If you're using the ek mounting hardware you're compressing springs, so can be fairly firm with it. If you don't have backplate I'd be a lot more cautious, as the board isn't really meant to take stress in that direction.

What happens to temperatures if the fans go up to 12V? Static pressure increases with the square of fan rpm, so you may find it works a lot better. In that case, 12V in summer and 7V in winter may work for you.

Shrouds should definitely be used, have a look through the link above if you need convincing/evidence for this. I'm using old fans with the middles torn out then cleaned up with a very hot stanley knife myself.

You missed lapping the processor from your list :)

In order, Id try
Shrouds
12V the fans
Lapping + reseat block
Better fans
Better pump (laing ddc)

Roughly order of price oddly enough. I think the pump or the fans are the soruce of the problem though.

Which fans are they? Not all fans are created equal, and some are far better than others for forcing air through radiators. Fans you need high static pressure, pumps you nead high head pressure.

Permabanned
OP
Nah, not tightened too much. If its bad contact, it means you've tightened it too little. If you're using the ek mounting hardware you're compressing springs, so can be fairly firm with it. If you don't have backplate I'd be a lot more cautious, as the board isn't really meant to take stress in that direction.

What happens to temperatures if the fans go up to 12V? Static pressure increases with the square of fan rpm, so you may find it works a lot better. In that case, 12V in summer and 7V in winter may work for you.

Shrouds should definitely be used, have a look through the link above if you need convincing/evidence for this. I'm using old fans with the middles torn out then cleaned up with a very hot stanley knife myself.

You missed lapping the processor from your list :)

In order, Id try
Shrouds
12V the fans
Lapping + reseat block
Better fans
Better pump (laing ddc)

Roughly order of price oddly enough. I think the pump or the fans are the soruce of the problem though.

Which fans are they? Not all fans are created equal, and some are far better than others for forcing air through radiators. Fans you need high static pressure, pumps you nead high head pressure.

i have not lapped the cpu yet, but i have thought about it, when ip put the 120mm fans on 12v its like a plane taking off, i will try to locate some shrouds and new 120mm fans first, i will switch my fans to 12v now and let you know in 30 mins what the temps are

Permabanned
OP
Yes its at stock, i want to clock it to about 3.8 thats why i am trying to get my temps in order, i will restart now and see what the bios tells me, is there any other programes out there that i can try to get another temp reading to see if core temp is lying

Back
Top Bottom