How to permanently disable screenshot (prtsc) on windows 10

Soldato
So you lock down PrtScrn via GPO, easy and not reversible (make it a user GPO and it will apply at logon). having said that, Windows 7 onwards has the snipping app (unless you use applocker or EMET, which you probably won't), it appears you are going to have to invoke, as a minimum, the following:

Disable clipboard / prtscreen via GPO
Disable the Snipping Tool app via AppLocker or EMET
Create a DLP that picks up attachments and forces them through an Admin workflow before they are released by the email server (O365 can do this very easily)
Disable USB access

But, and trust me on this, unless you are working for the gov at Official Sens or higher, there is no data that any company can be that sensitive about.

Caporegime
This has to be a windup, you the new IT guy at Mi5?

Perhaps you could look at the problem from another angle: what good is taking a screenshot if it can't be taken away? USB ports can be disabled by Group Policy, and you can block email access. Is the browser already locked down?

Perhaps a more subtle solution would be for PrtSc to trigger an alert - these are potential employees after all, and trustworthiness is key - so if they try to take a screenshot, they're not trustworthy and can be rejected immediately.

But given that these are only potential employees why are you showing them live confidential data in the first place?

"Rejected immediately"? God forbid someone tries to press the F12 button...

Need to completely block internet access in case someone tries to dropbox, email or FTP entire documents. Which is far more of a real concern than a few screenshots.

I'm liking the glue gun idea, I might have to resort to this even though it might void the warranty (these are brand new machines).

Pointless because it's easy to remap keys or use the on screen keyboard, you'd need to disable it at the software level.

A bit drastic but maybe cut the connection behind the key. Trouble is you could probably easily remap another key.
From experience it is very difficult to stop people doing things like this. We had to put silicone gel into headphone sockets once to stop people playing music!

Gel in the headphone socket? Really? As opposed to just disabling the audio output? Everyone at work here just plays music on their phones...

I wonder if there is a display where a camera would not be able to take a photo? kinda like that privacy filter on monitors.

Nope, all a camera does it capture light, same thing your eyes does. If you can see it you can take a photo of it.

This whole thing is farcial, if this is information is actually that desirable someone will just wear a button camera...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom