how To Put together this Rig

Ok well i have just orderd my very first rig :))))))))) and am very happy. only problem is now i got to put it together when it arrvies. I have researched and done computers before, just like taking apart and putting back together again to fix and clean them, so i do know a little about what im doing, but my concern is what order i need to put it togerther and maybe any unobvious things i need to do beforehand.

Can you give me any advice and tell me a rough order of how i put this together:

CP-127-AM AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4400+ (Socket 939) - Retail (ADA4400CDBOX) (CP-127-AM)
£284.95

Lian-Li PC V1000 PLUS Silver Aluminium Midi-Tower (No PSU)
£114.95

Connect3D ATI Radeon X1900 XT-X 512MB GDDR3 AVIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (3055)
£324.95

Asus A8R-MVP Crossfire (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard
£69.95

Samsung SpinPoint P SP2504C 250GB SATA-II 8MB Cache - OEM
£54.95

Enermax Liberty 620W ELT620AWT ATX2.2 Modular SLI Compliant PSU
£89.95

HP DVD840i 16x16 DVD±RW Dual Layer LightScribe ReWriter (Black)
£34.95

LG Logitech G5 Gaming-Grade Laser Mouse
£37.95

Saitek Keyboard Illuminated (black)

Corsair 2GB DDR XMS3200C2PT TwinX (2x1GB) CAS2
£124.95

Everglide Ricochet 2.52 - Black
£23.95

Additional Notes:
I have a old floppy drive in my old computer, does that need any extra things for it, i hear sata drives need a floppy to install windows

I will probably be installing a not so legal version of windows ME. Other then the legal cases is this just like installing a normal one, or would i need another windows installed first, then install ME?

thanks in advance

I think the most important thing when building is don't panic. Go and have a drink, read the paper and go back to it if you can't do something. Just remember to be very light putting the CPU in the socket (it will drop in if it is the right way round.)

Also find out how to put the heatsink on before putting it in the motherboard, so you don't end up putting the heatsink on the wrong way round and getting air in the thermalpaste.

On the order of building

1, Start with the PSU, screw it into place

2, Screw DVD and floppy drives into case leaving cables for the moment

3, Place processor, HSF and memory onto motherboard and attach to case

4, Place Hard Drives into case and attach all cables for both DVD and HD's

5, Slot in GFX card and attach wires to MB and PSU

6, Attach any other wires or components you have not have already attached

7, Check everything is in the right place and all wires are attached to the right places etc.

8, Boot up computer and install OS

You may find that there is not much space between the the end of the GFX card and the hard drives for wires etc especially if you are using IDE cables. Just persevere and thread wires gently so nothing is damaged if there is not much space.

And on the subject of ME dont go near it, its as unstable as the antarctic ice shelf, i had it for about 6 months. I think I spent more time rebooting than actually using the PC.

And good luck, just take it slow and steady and youll be fine, and make sure you read the instructions, especially for the motherboard as there are countless connections that all look the same. :)

P.S.I found this guide really useful when I built my PC http://www.hardwarezone.com/guides/amd-socket939/

Last edited:
Dont slip when your putting the heatsink on :p

Make sure you put all the connecting leads in properly for the IDE connections. I dont think you can go wrong with SATA.

When putting the RAM in, apply even pressure to both ends and it should click in with a little pressure.

Check you have your power lines your your graphics card in, ive seen a few people forget that.

I always find it easiest to put all the components in first, then wire then up, makes working easier.

Most importantly, since its your first build, take your time and try not to rush. Most people that can build systems in 30 mins or less do it on a regular basis.

Finally, if you get stuck, you still have the PC your on now, so jump on here and im sure people will be happy to help.

Make sure you use an Anti-Static wrist strap too. A lot of people don't bother but I'd rather be safe than sorry. :)

Also that link that Explicit posted is a blody good one. Just having a read through it all now. :)

Siders77 said:
Make sure you use an Anti-Static wrist strap too. A lot of people don't bother but I'd rather be safe than sorry. :)

Never used one in over 10 years, never had any bother at all, just touch a metal part of the case or something metal to gorund yourself before you pick up components.

That's what I thought when I was doing my first build. "No one else uses one, I won't bother"

Then what happens? I break my MOBO because of static electricity. :(

I made sure I touched the case/something metal every few mibutes, too.

ok thanks for all the help, im reading the first link suggested and am finding that very helpful. Last question, bit offtopic, is it possible to change my case that i ordered from silver to black? they are the same prieces i beleive so i hope this would be allowed as im now thinking that black would look much nicer in my room.

Its fairly simple if you read some guides on the net the ones that have been posted are super guides as for the cpu it should need no force at all to get it in if its right it slips in no problum

addy_010 said:
ok thanks for all the help, im reading the first link suggested and am finding that very helpful. Last question, bit offtopic, is it possible to change my case that i ordered from silver to black? they are the same prieces i beleive so i hope this would be allowed as im now thinking that black would look much nicer in my room.

Did you order it from OcUK?

If it's not been sent out yet then I shouldn't see why not.

If you did get it from OcUK then send them a WebNote and they'll be happy to help you. :)

Cover the side panel in masking tape. Mark out desired window shape. Cut with a Dremel or a Jigsaw. Then stick some clear (or any colour for that matter) acrylic on the inside of the wondow.

Job done. :)

addy 010

check the screws that come with your v1000 plus that hold the hdd mine were 0.7 mm too long on the shoulder had to turn up some new ones, also you may need to remove one of the HDD bays and end plate to get the psu in if your psu does not follow the form factor , Tagan wont fit so i think your enermax may not

Back
Top Bottom