How to quieten an older pc

Soldato
The resolution of my monitor is 1920 x 1200 but the newer 24" screens all seem to be 1920 x 1080. I'd lose some space vertically but would an IPS screen outweigh this?
Different LCD type doesn't compensate for need to scroll more up and down.
Instead of evolving marketing BS has made monitors devolve.

Soldato
Silence has been achieved. I'm now thinking about changing my monitor to something more recent.

I currently use a 24" Dell 2407WFP-HC monitor that's over a decade old. I've got no issues with it but was wondering if I'd see much benefit upgrading to a newer IPS screen of the same size. The resolution of my monitor is 1920 x 1200 but the newer 24" screens all seem to be 1920 x 1080. I'd lose some space vertically but would an IPS screen outweigh this? Quite like the look of the ASUS VZ249HE.

I hated going from a 16:10 24” to a 16:9 25”; it felt like a significant downgrade in size.

Sorry to pee in the pool, but the only upgrade for me was 27” 16:9, though I went higher in the end.

Soldato
I hated going from a 16:10 24” to a 16:9 25”; it felt like a significant downgrade in size.

Sorry to pee in the pool, but the only upgrade for me was 27” 16:9, though I went higher in the end.
Definitely agree. OP could go from the 2407 to the U2413 which was the last 24" 16:10 Dell made plus it is a 10bit monitor so that the colours are much better than standard 8bit monitor. I have both and the difference is clear. They can be picked up for ~£80 from a seller on the bay in great condition and the original box.

Saying that, depending on what your uses I'd probably go for a 27" 16:9 monitor. Lots of great choices in that size.

Last edited:
Soldato
Would upgrading the cpu and memory bring a noticeable performance increase for this old machine? It's got 4GB DDR3 memory and a core i5 750 cpu.

I have a CPU that is 65w and can cool it using just a heat sink (Ereboss Core) and slow moving case fan. It may be worth swapping for a low power consumption alternative, or keep this in mind for a future HTPC.
The only two fans I have in my case are a 120mm fan and the one included on the PSU.

Soldato
For that machine I’d be going Ryzen, either second hand or new. It’s rather old in the tooth. Depends what you want to spend and what you want longer term though.

Could keep your eye out for a second-hand i7, and slap some more memory in while you’re waiting.

Last edited:
Associate
@fallbayuk

Any chance of a pic of your setup and a list of what your current components now are? I've been trying to quieten/silence my own rig lately and wondering how my rig "roughly" compares with other silent/quiet rigs. The only comparison I had with a silent rig was when one of my kids ordered an Audio station from OCUK (and that was when I was over there to diagnose the GPU over a year ago) and I noticed how much more silent it was than my own.

Soldato
@fallbayuk

Any chance of a pic of your setup and a list of what your current components now are? I've been trying to quieten/silence my own rig lately and wondering how my rig "roughly" compares with other silent/quiet rigs. The only comparison I had with a silent rig was when one of my kids ordered an Audio station from OCUK (and that was when I was over there to diagnose the GPU over a year ago) and I noticed how much more silent it was than my own.

For reference, I cannot hear my rig at all. It used to sit next to me on the desk. The DDC was noisy so I bought a practically silent D5.

Only thing I heard was coil whine, then I built a cupboard for it and finally have utter silence.

Back
Top Bottom