How to revert new Google Chrome UI back to "classic".

Soldato
Hi all, as some of you may have noticed Google have completely redesigned the Chrome UI for the latest version (launched Tuesday). If you want to make it look "normal" again here's how:

Simply go to the page for toggling Chrome’s experimental features by entering chrome://flags into your address bar, and change the “UI Layout for the browser’s top chrome” setting from “default” to “normal.” Once you click apply and restart the browser, Chrome’s tabs and search bar will look the way they did before.

Associate
Handy tip. I imagine it'll probably get removed at some point down the line so I might just stick with it and get used to it.

I like the look but it needs to be a bit smaller.

Associate
Google Chrome update: What are the new
features? How to return to old Chrome look

Follow these easy steps to go back to the old
Google Chrome look:

• Type chrome://flags/#top-chrome-md in the
address bare and press enter

• Next to the “UI Layout for the
browser’s top chrome” flag, change the toggle
from Default to Normal

• Restart your browser by typing chrome://restart in the
address bar and pressing enter

If you haven’t yet tried out the Google Chrome browser,
click More in the top right of the browser.

Then click Update Google Chrome, followed by Relaunch.

Associate
Google will eventually remove the ability to revert the changes through chrome://flags. Has anyone found a Theme from the Store that does the same?

Soldato
I like the new update, genuinely don't get the uproar!
It hasn't changed in probably 10 years, it needed a spruce up. The new tabs are much sleeker and other than that, I don't see anything else to cause offence?
I think people like to be outraged for no real reason sometimes.

Soldato
I like the new update, genuinely don't get the uproar!
It hasn't changed in probably 10 years, it needed a spruce up. The new tabs are much sleeker and other than that, I don't see anything else to cause offence?
I think people like to be outraged for no real reason sometimes.

It's just change - people can't stand it. Other than the new UI design, I can't see any major changes to layout etc. I think it looks great, and is considerably nicer looking than Safari. Can't stand the shortened link

Soldato
It's just change - people can't stand it. Other than the new UI design, I can't see any major changes to layout etc. I think it looks great, and is considerably nicer looking than Safari. Can't stand the shortened link

The irony is the bit thats changed the most is the bit of Chrome they spend the least time looking and yet they still rage.

Soldato
OP
The irony is the bit thats changed the most is the bit of Chrome they spend the least time looking and yet they still rage.
The general complaint that people seem to be making is that it's the only bit of chrome anyone ever looks at (as the rest of the screen is the website) and so by making it bulkier/bloated so it's more like a tablet they are sacrificing blah blah blah. IMO it's the same issue as the windows 8 start screen, some people don't like change for change's sake, they insist it brings an improvement too.

Associate
There are elements that the flags tweaks don't help with, including some drop down boxes that have huge spacing to be 'touch friendly'. I've rolled back to v68 and disabled updates.

Soldato
This ???

am still happily/lazily, using an older version
Why I’m done with Chrome
September 23, 2018
A few weeks ago Google shipped an update to Chrome that fundamentally changes the sign-in experience. From now on, every time you log into a Google property (for example, Gmail), Chrome will automatically sign the browser into your Google account for you. It’ll do this without asking, or even explicitly notifying you. (However, and this is important: Google developers claim this will not actually start synchronizing your data to Google — yet. See further below.)

To paraphrase this explanation: if you’re in a situation where you’ve already signed into Chrome and your friend shares your computer, then you can wind up accidentally having your friend’s Google cookies get uploaded into your account. This seems bad, and sure, we want to avoid that.

But note something critical about this scenario. In order for this problem to apply to you, you already have to be signed into Chrome. There is absolutely nothing in this problem description that seems to affect users who chose not to sign into the browser in the first place.

43318195270_761eec56a1_o_d.jpg

Back
Top Bottom