how to set up a static IP adress?

Associate
Hi

I was trying to set up a static IP dress on my android phone, but whenever I do it I stay connected to the router but not internet connection.

This is my first time I try to set up a static Ip , I searched online how to so that , but still seems I don't do it right, so how to set up a static IP??

Associate
What settings are you entering? Also, is the IP you are trying to use already assigned to another device?

You will need to enter the static IP you want to use, the gateway is your routers IP and network prefix length is 24 by default unless you have another setup. Also dont forget the DNS. This can be your routers IP or something like Google 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4 or cloudfare 1.1.1.1, 1.0.0.1 or another DNS option you want to use.

Soldato
Try setting an IP reservation on the router.

Your router should have an option to always assign a device the same IP based on its MAC address.

If you don't know how post the make and model of the router.

Why would you want a static IP on a phone in the first place?

Associate
OP
no its not
I tried different IP between 1-255

Shall I keep the gateways same as router use?
cuz I did that too

what about the DNS?

Associate
OP

Your router should have an option to always assign a device the same IP based on its MAC address.

Its a new device , only with the 5GHZ the speed link drops
when i start the phone it connects normally with high speed , specially my router has mu-mimo and beamforming
but when I change the network, between Wifi and Mobile , or Wifi to wifi , or just turn off-on the wifi
the speed drops

sony support asked me to try static ip and check if this will help

Associate
OP
M

My router is tp-link ac5400

Associate
OP
What settings are you entering? Also, is the IP you are trying to use already assigned to another device?

You will need to enter the static IP you want to use, the gateway is your routers IP and network prefix length is 24 by default unless you have another setup. Also dont forget the DNS. This can be your routers IP or something like Google 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4 or cloudfare 1.1.1.1, 1.0.0.1 or another DNS option you want to use.

i did that , still no internet
the gateway the same one I can get from the router setting page, right?

Soldato
An IP reservation will sort all of the settings out for you.

On the router look for the DHCP Server settings and then for address reservations. Add a new reservation using the MAC address of your phone and the IP address you want it to have.

The MAC address of the phone will be in the Android settings somewhere.

If you want your manual settings checking post them along with the gateway IP of the router.

Associate
OP
An IP reservation will sort all of the settings out for you.

On the router look for the DHCP Server settings and then for address reservations. Add a new reservation using the MAC address of your phone and the IP address you want it to have.

The MAC address of the phone will be in the Android settings somewhere.

If you want your manual settings checking post them along with the gateway IP of the router.

Thanks a lot
i will try that

Really appreciate your help

Soldato
Which phone and router is it? I had some Wi-Fi issues on my XZ Premium which only happened on my Asus RT68U but not with anything else, and I found turning off airtime fairness on the router seems to have solved it.

Back
Top Bottom