how to start a workflow tracker? PHP mySQL

Soldato
Essentially the company I work for still uses word documents for projects and an excel log book as a project tracker.

As a proof in concept I want to start to mock up something using mysql as the DB, php and javascript.

I have some experience of these three in the past, what I have no experience in is creating a login system and subsequent approval levels for each stage and then tying up each initiator and approver for each stage... so its something like this:

Craptakular permissions for stage 1, Stage 3,4,5.

Designer Guy permissions for Stage 2 only.

Craptakular selects Designer Guy as the designer and "sends" to him so he can complete Section 2.

Designer Guy completes Section 2 and sends back to Craptakular to complete for Stage 3 Approval.

hhmmm this is going to be complicated... I just realised I would need to create a portal system for each user as they would need to see there pending workflow/actions.

gah, I am making no sense...

Associate
Is there any reason why you need to write this yourself? Some of the features you mentioned could end up being quite complicated. There are plenty of cheap/free issue tracking tools that may be suitable for workflow management:

Jira - really powerful, use this at work, not free though.
Bugzilla - Not used this but heard good things, and its free.
Pivotal - Again, heard good things about this but it's based around agile development so may not be suitable. There's a free trial.

Soldato
Would something like trello not also be suitable for this as well.

Having tried a number of different solutions and attempting to build my own I see why these systems can be very expensive as the logic and workflow can get really tricky.

If you have share point you could use that at a push with workflow features (my share point experience is a bit rusty but I am sure there was a workflow processing template)

I wish you all the luck and if you need help with security/login there a number of great guys out there and technologies (coming from a .net background I use Brock Allen's Membership reboot library) takes all the headaches out of doing all the security stuff and I can control all the access through claims.

Back
Top Bottom