How to upgrade to thicker tubing?

OCP

OCP

Associate
Hi guys, I'm planning to buy one of the XSPC kits for my system. I look at some pictures and the tubing looks a bit too thin for my liking, could someone recommend me what I need exactly to switch over to a thicker/wider tubing?

What measurements fittings do I need? I'm interested in 45/90 degree angle fittings too.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Associate
Morning fella, the vast majority of fittings will be G1/4 fitting (thread side) so you can basically pick whatever thickness tubing you like.
I have had hose that 1/2" and its insanely big & bendy, and my current loop is running 7/16", whilst its a fair chunk thinner than my previous, it appears to be fine in my loop (i have a few tight bends)
For fittings, i went with Compression fittings, incredibly neat & tidy lookin mainly as you dont need extra clips to secure them.
But looking at that item in OCUK, its the same hose thickness i have and mine is fine, if you have a look at my images in the project logs, you should be able to see some of the bends there.

Associate
As for your question, yes that fitting will sit well, as its the G1/4 (which is the size of the thread, for screwing into a block/res/rad and not the barb)
The WC bundle kit you bought all has G1/4 holes, (nearly all rads, all blocks etc will have a G1/4 hole) so will be fine.
There are exceptions to the above though, as an older thermal take bundle i had all holes were G1/4 except the inlet into the res.

OCP

OCP

Associate
OP
Please forgive me if I'm being stupid, I'm still trying to wake up.

So if I bought: G1/4″ to 7/16″ Compression Fittings (which comes with the kit) it will fit the XSPC HighFlex Hose 3/8" ID, 5/8" OD, 16/10mm?

or

I would have to change the fittings to EK-PSC Compression Fitting 10mm 3/8" - G1/4 Black for the above size hose?

I'm guessing the 3/8 is one size up from 7/16.

edit: doh, just figured out that 7/16 is better than 3/8.

Guess I'll have to stick with 7/16 since I think 1/2 is overly big.

Last edited:
Associate
hehehe, its a world of questions when it comes to custom cooling :D
G1/4 to 7/16 compression fittings - means the G1/4 is the thread part going INTO the block and the 7/16 is the size of hose that goes on the small barb.
So, what ever size hose you get, make sure the fitting is the same.
On the hose specs, the part you are mainly interested in is the 'ID' as this is the inner diameter. the OD is the outer, and the thicker this is, tends to mean the better it will handle bends and avoid kinking.
As for being stupid, the reality is there are almost no stupid questions when it comes to customising a pc, unless of course you're asking if you can put coolant direct into psu lol

Associate
Psu's take a lot of filling! :)

I thought there wasn't much performance difference between thinking hose and normal.. Just slightly increased flow but I'd assume you've still got the same restrictions aka the cpu block and gpu blocks... More an astectic thing..

Associate
Hello,
In short yes,
Angle fitting - Yes, both threads on this are G1/4, which will effectively be no different than screwing your compression fitting straight into the block.
Compression fittings - Yes, these are the same size as the ones that come with the kit, only these are black.

Associate
Hi, with watercooling, you are pretty much only limited by your imagination.
As far as i am aware, the manufacturer of a component does not affect its ability to be used in conjuction with another maker.
I have XSPC tubing, EK cpu block, Ek compression fittings - all working with no issue.
My last loop had bitspower fittings with a different brand of tubing and an Apogee CPU block, again all working fine. you only need to ensure you get the correct sizes, BUT also ensure you buy the correct depths, as some barbs have longer/shorter G1/4 threads, these are normally clearly marked.
Just be sure to read the descriptions to see if there are any limitations. :)

Back
Top Bottom