how to upgrade to windows 10?? very worried

Associate
Hello

I feel this is a minefield of a question for me, but I am currently on windows 7 and wondering how I update my pc to windows 10?

Also will I lose all my games, date etc, or can i back it up somehow?

many thanks in advance:confused:

Soldato
If you haven't already got your important stuff backed up you should have. If you don't you could lose the lot at any moment.

For the upgrade:
  1. Have everything important backed up.
  2. Image the existing install to an external drive using Macrium Reflect (just in case).
  3. Wipe the drive and install a fresh version of Windows 10. With any luck, the Windows 10 installer will accept the Windows 7 key.
  4. Reinstall applications and data.

Soldato
Yeh it should still accept a win7 key assuming it's a legit key.

Just back up any important docs /pics etc. To a USB drive or whatever.

Game save files might be an issue, you'll have to back up the relevant save files and copy them back once you've reinstalled the games, unless they are steam games, which I belive there are a few workarounds by migrating all the steam stuff to another drive.

Last edited:
Soldato
Although, i stand shoulder to shoulder with the above advice i.e. a clean install is always best practice. If needs must, you could choose the upgrade route - i.e. Windows 10 will literally integrate itself over the top of Windows 7 and it's existing software.

I've had to do this for a few systems (even with multiple drives) - and, indeed, when it was first released as a free upgrade - and so far not had any problems from users (although, systems have moved on in most cases). You would still need to back up important files (nuts not to) - but you should find yourself up and running in a few hours - all things being equal - and with all your apps/programs ready to use. Perhaps make an installation USB for 'worst case scenario'...

And this:
assuming it's a legit key.

*That said, if you can do a clean install choose this option:- select create installation media (USB easiest), back up-back up-back up (@bremen1874 advice is sound), format drive/delete partitions and do a fresh install (internet off, critical updates only during install - and all drivers directly from motherboard and GPU manufacturer.) *Recommend you only have the one drive attached during the install - Windows 10 likes to share :/

Soldato
Make sure you actually know your Windows 7 key. If you don't have the DVD packaging, you can run BelArcAdvisor and it will list your key in the Software section of the results.

Associate
OP
Although, i stand shoulder to shoulder with the above advice i.e. a clean install is always best practice. If needs must, you could choose the upgrade route - i.e. Windows 10 will literally integrate itself over the top of Windows 7 and it's existing software.

I've had to do this for a few systems (even with multiple drives) - and, indeed, when it was first released as a free upgrade - and so far not had any problems from users (although, systems have moved on in most cases). You would still need to back up important files (nuts not to) - but you should find yourself up and running in a few hours - all things being equal - and with all your apps/programs ready to use. Perhaps make an installation USB for 'worst case scenario'...

And this:

*That said, if you can do a clean install choose this option:- select create installation media (USB easiest), back up-back up-back up (@bremen1874 advice is sound), format drive/delete partitions and do a fresh install (internet off, critical updates only during install - and all drivers directly from motherboard and GPU manufacturer.) *Recommend you only have the one drive attached during the install - Windows 10 likes to share :/

Thnk you, So this link https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 once my files are backed up, I could use this to upgrade then?? I do have the windows 7 serial its on the disk sleeve I think

Soldato
That is where you'd download the Windows 10 installer.

All you can do is try it.

If you image the drive before you start you've got a way back if anything goes wrong.

Soldato
In addition to the above, before upgrade:
  • uninstall any anti-virus software
  • unplug superfluous peripherals - printers, external HDDs, USB hubs etc...

Soldato
As long as you’re confident that everything important is backed up you should be good to go.

I’d always create a system image (Macrium Reflect) because it’s a quick and easy way to return the system to how it is now if something goes wrong.

Associate
OP
Well I did a standard back up and copied all my important files over etc, then I have now started doing a system image, I'm just not sure I will have enough space on my external drive for it.

Soldato
A quick check: does your motherboard have Windows 10 drivers available? If so, copy them all - uncompressed - onto a USB stick. Most especially the ethernet / wifi driver.

As you've created a system image, don't forget to create the bootable USB key for recovery.

The very best way to upgrade is to take the opportunity to use a new SSD. Remove the old HDD / SSD completely, install the new SSD, install Windows, then reinstall the old SSD as a secondary drive then reinstall all your apps and games. This has the advantage of immediate recovery should things go wrong.

And no, I am not paranoid about data; I used to work in IT so I'm speaking from experience.

Back
Top Bottom