How to watch Eurosport without Sky and no Broadband

Soldato
We have a mobile unit that goes around the country and up to now we have been using a Sky box and subscription with a satellite dish on the truck.

We now need to change this but still need to access Eurosport. We have multiple smart TVs with built in freeview/freesat

How can we do this?

The NOW TV box, can that just work off a satellite or does it need broadband?

I have looked at the TV Player Plus - but it says it's a hybrid system that needs satellite & broadband (is the broadband only just for some functionality or is it essential?) though unfortunately they have ceased being on Freesat from the 8th April.

Do we have any other options?

Legal options only please :p

Man of Honour
Now TV is streamed over the internet. If you have a decent all you can eat mobile data allowance then try the Now TV app on your phone. Or over a Roku linked to your phone for internet if you have a TV in the back of the van.

Caporegime
Find someone with a sky account and then setup Sky mobile on that account. With sky mobile the use of Sky Go doesn’t use mobile data so you could pick up the 1Gb SIM package and use that if your 4G signal is good enough. It will even allow tethering.

Or add sky mobile to your existing Sky contract if it’s a domestic account? You’d need to keep the account running though.

Soldato
OP
Find someone with a sky account and then setup Sky mobile on that account. With sky mobile the use of Sky Go doesn’t use mobile data so you could pick up the 1Gb SIM package and use that if your 4G signal is good enough. It will even allow tethering.

Or add sky mobile to your existing Sky contract if it’s a domestic account? You’d need to keep the account running though.

That's a good idea, though we output the current Sky box to 3 TV's so I imagine we couldn't do that directly from the Sky Go app on a phone, but if it tethers then there must be a workaround to get Sky Go on a device that outputs via HDMI, so we can split the signal as we do now.

Caporegime
That's a good idea, though we output the current Sky box to 3 TV's so I imagine we couldn't do that directly from the Sky Go app on a phone, but if it tethers then there must be a workaround to get Sky Go on a device that outputs via HDMI, so we can split the signal as we do now.
You can't cast or connect a phone or tablet to a TV though.

Eurosport offer a standalone subscription service but still requires broadband.

Soldato
I've used the eurosport windows 'app', so if you can tether that to a 4g signal, too; via hdmi I usually view on the tv.
I now regret not taking up the £20p/a subscription from earlier in the year for the cycling

Soldato
sky is just not value for money if you only want eurosport ie bike/cycling and not foot/rugby/cricket
... personally, combined with nowtv @£3p/m for catching up on the few series (billions/twd)

Soldato
OP
So I have to ask, why is it the current setup is being retired?

It's used in our mobile home when the guys are away at work and was just on the bosses account afaik, but he just upgraded to Sky Q and so lost all the functionality of the second Sky HD+ box he was using in the caravan.

Looking at the convoluted methods required, it's going to be just as easy / cheap to set up a second sky account, which is what we are going to do

Caporegime
It's used in our mobile home when the guys are away at work and was just on the bosses account afaik, but he just upgraded to Sky Q and so lost all the functionality of the second Sky HD+ box he was using in the caravan.

Looking at the convoluted methods required, it's going to be just as easy / cheap to set up a second sky account, which is what we are going to do
Just ask for a viewing card, they'll want to install sky Q these days.

Caporegime
Ok...I get the feeling this is a stupid question, but we will need another Sky Q box as well though won't we
I'd try everything possible to avoid getting Q if it's for a motor home. It will cause all sort of trouble. Keep your sky+HD boxes and ask for a 'second hand contract' where your equipment is already in place and request Multiscreen cards for however many boxes you want active.

Soldato
OP
I'd try everything possible to avoid getting Q if it's for a motor home. It will cause all sort of trouble. Keep your sky+HD boxes and ask for a 'second hand contract' where your equipment is already in place and request Multiscreen cards for however many boxes you want active.

Thanks Misschief

Soldato
Check out Smarty they do an unlimited data sim for £25 per month. Coupled with a 4g access point I can stream NowTV off it whereever we go. Handy for the long journeys in the car to keep the kids quiet watching Fortnite Youtube videos. Already tested it out and worked fine watching Sky Sports live football match.

You can't cast or connect a phone or tablet to a TV though.

Eurosport offer a standalone subscription service but still requires broadband.

you can with Google Chromacast. Have done it to test watching football. Bit laggy but it worked. There are others out there too that also allow it.

Back
Top Bottom