How useful is git?

Soldato
As the others have said central source control is a bit of a pain in the ass especially for a single user. Git just works really and is so quick to use and has very powerful features if you ever need to use them.

Also I like to checkout and play with opensource projects from github so using git was just a natural fit.

Soldato
I'm leaning towards SVN due to its seamless integration with Visual Studio (which seems to be the case, judging by the reviews).

You don't need to integrate it with visual studio. That's just gonna give you a GUI wrapper for git commands you can run yourself from the CLI. I appreciate GUIs for git are more friendly but any abstraction is going to impose restrictions on functionality (git has a lot of it). Any IDE that works with local files should work fine with git. For example if you revert a file to some old version using git and you have that file open in visual studio, it should immediately revert the code.

Introducing git to my workflow has saved me so much hassle I just can't recommend it enough. I imagine like most people I was initially drawn to it as a backup for when **** hits the fan but I've just found it to be a great safety blanket when transitioning from one iteration to the next. Please stop using RARs :)

fez

fez

Caporegime
Like most things, its a matter of getting into the habit of it. I work in sublime text 2 and there is a git plugin that makes committing changes to the current file really easy so it takes about 10 seconds to commit changes with a message.

I would recommend integrating it with whatever editor you have if possible as it makes per file committing much faster and easier and keeps you on the same window which is nice.

The other great reason to use it is github. So many projects, plugins, configs (literally anything) is on there and knowing how to use git is vital if you want to be part of that. Lots of plugins for sublime text are distributed via github and knowing how to checkout the branches you want is vital.

Associate
Like most things, its a matter of getting into the habit of it. I work in sublime text 2 and there is a git plugin that makes committing changes to the current file really easy so it takes about 10 seconds to commit changes with a message.

Same here, though first learnt command line. And Github is brilliant.

Back
Top Bottom