How you going to survive winter?

Soldato
Reminds me of the use of small paraffin burners you put in a greenhouse :p

You may laugh but people used to have paraffin heaters in the home my grandparents had them one at the foot of the stairs and another at the top

I still burn coal (Pitch forks out):):)

Should be handy if we get power/gas cuts and you can stick your saucepan on top of the hot coals and still cook yer dinner like me mum did in the power cuts of the '70's!

Last edited:
Associate
Surely using the boiler is cheaper than putting an electric blanket on? Electric must be 6 times the cost of gas.

electric blankets cost peanuts to run, mine is about 10p for the whole night but I have it switch off after 3 hours otherwise I wake up too hot.

As for the rest of the flat I prefer cold to hot so I’m happy to put a jumper on if I get too cold.

Soldato
Got a load of candles to put in outside bog and stocked up on salt to keep water in pan liquid.
I survived the winters of 1947 and 1963 so anything now will be a walkover. Google winter of 1962/63 it was bloody cold.

Soldato
You may laugh but people used to have paraffin heaters in the home my grandparents had them one at the foot of the stairs and another at the top

Should be handy if we get power/gas cuts and you can stick your saucepan on top of the hot coals and still cook yer dinner like me mum did in the power cuts of the '70's!
Yes, I remember that growing up. When you think about it a lot of us would be screwed in a serious power cut nowadays. Central heating is great until the power goes off...
I've actually got a couple of camping stoves that will be handy in dire situations.

Back
Top Bottom