How's everyone dealing with the tedium?

I struggle with ‘the tedium’.

If you live life by reference to (and by pursuing) the highs, and/or you’re a person that takes immense satisfaction from the highs, then unfortunately a lot of life is going to be tedious and an enormous slog.

The best solution, in my opinion, is to lean into the tedium and become less sensitive to it.

Part of this is acceptance of certain realities. A lot of life is boring. Most of life is monotonous. It simply is. That’s something we all have to come to terms with, especially as we get older and have less new things to experience.

Another side of it is ‘spending energy’ to get enjoyment. I call it ‘building’. What can I do, this weekend, that will make my time going forwards a little bit better? Maybe I could de-weed the garden, or do a trip to the tip. This sort of activity can at first instance feel like a chore, but it’s better to mentally frame it as if you’re going to gym: you’re making your life a little better. And in time you’ll get ‘gains’ and satisfaction.

Finally, you can accept that many of the things we pine can’t be done indefinitely without negative consequence to other things. If you live perpetually needing that ‘first date buzz’ then you simply cannot also build a more sophisticated relationship.

Just random musings, take what you like and leave what you don’t :p

I'm not.

Not very well at least.....but upside is I don't drink smoke use any form of drugs. My drug is actually nature hikes/walks, that's actually best way I deal with it (Although by some measure that actually is dealing with it well).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom