• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Hows my CPU?

Associate
I have just upgraded my PC and I got a i5-8600k and I managed to overclock it to 5GHz @ 1.27vcore, Is this normal as a few people I spoke with and youtube videos I watched all have much higher vcores?

I have found it very stable and with my Noctua DH-15S and also my temps are idleing @ 32c

Soldato
If it survives stress tests, that's pretty good...

Get it through 48 hours of Prime and sell it on a popular auction site for twice the retail price :p

Associate
OP
I have ran OCCT for 2 hours at 5GHz @1.300 Vcore without any errors and the temps are:
  • Core 1 - 74c
  • Core 2 - 81c
  • Core 3 - 83c
  • Core 4 - 80c
  • Core 5 - 79c
  • Core 6 - 82c

Associate
I ran a test on prime95 for over an hour and it never went over 89c but that was core 2, all the other cores got no higher than 86c

On an NHD15?? At under 1.3? Which version of P95 were you using? I would use AIDA64 personally.
That's pretty impressive vCore. I got a pretty good 4790K myself, I'm @ 1.24V 4.5Ghz which is pretty good for a 4790K.

I would suggest that you run AIDA64 for more than 1 hour to see if it is stable. But the best test if it is stable in that test is to just use your computer and play a lot of games and make sure you don't bluescreen.

What thermal paste are you using by the way? I'd suggest that you check out something really good like Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. It took almost 9C off my CPU compared to trashy Cooler Master paste.

• Core 1 - 74c
  • Core 2 - 81c
  • Core 3 - 83c
  • Core 4 - 80c
  • Core 5 - 79c
  • Core 6 - 82c
^That's an 8 degree difference between core 1 and 6. Are you sure you have an even cpu cooler mount and good paste spread? Did you tighten the two mount screws on the NHD15 one rotation at a time going back and forth between screws? (Or even better use two screwdrivers and synchronize them).

It's possible that you just have a CPU that had a poor IHS mount done by Intel but sometimes a poor cooler mount causes this.

Back
Top Bottom