Hp monitors

Caporegime
Follow up note, I re-calibrated using black crush compensation, and now basically it's only the stuff below #040404 that vanishes. There's still a loss of detail down in that low low range, but it's a minor improvement nonetheless. For the sale price of £300, I consider this screen pretty darn decent :)

I also don't know what a HP Desire is... there's the Envy, which has big ugly speakers on the side, which I very much didn't want because of that. I like to have 2-3 monitors on the desk and not a 4" gap between them :)

What software you using for the calibration? I dont remember seeing a black crush option with my spyder 5? Or is it hidden away somewhere?

Soldato
What software you using for the calibration? I dont remember seeing a black crush option with my spyder 5? Or is it hidden away somewhere?

DispCal - nice bit of freeware, gets around the stupid thing where Spyder tries to limit you to one monitor unless you pay double for literally the same hardware :)

It's a bit obscure, but there's a tickbox for black level, or some such. I'll find it and screenshot it later if I remember, not at my home PC right now.

Soldato
Cheers eddiew. I have downloaded it and it looks a bit complex.................any tips?

I'm no expert on this, but I'll do my best for a quick intro...

It probably won't recognise your Spyder, so your Instrument dropdown will be disabled. Install the special open source drivers to fix this (uninstall any Spyder stuff and drivers first, it's all bloat and tat).

YmZPtz3.jpg

Now you can choose the monitor and instrument you want to use. I have 4 screens, which is why I think the Spyder license is a piece of arse.

Turn on Black Point Correction on the Calibration page...

OeI4CDC.jpg

On the Profiling page, tick this option:

TzDkBjD.jpg

Now just hit the big button at the bottom. First step is white point - I suggest using your monitor's OSD to tweak the RGB until you get the best white possible with the hardware alone. With that done, you can let it run (for over an hour!) and it'll eventually finish and produce a colour profile that you can preview and save :)

Caporegime
The screen impressed the IT techs here today at work installing some software he can't believe it was only £299 either and is going to buy one himself. He asked me if I knew it was freesync as well which I did of course.

Soldato
The screen impressed the IT techs here today at work installing some software he can't believe it was only £299 either and is going to buy one himself. He asked me if I knew it was freesync as well which I did of course.

Yeah we love them. HP have done a great job.

Soldato
I give it 95% personally ;)
  • 1% off because no 75hz on nvidia.
  • 2% off because there is that tiny hint of brightness variation here and there. This does seem to be a thing inherent to all forms of this panel and it's far, far less noticeable than on other models, but... I never saw this sort of thing pre-2010, so why is it a thing in 'modern' screens at all?
  • 2% off because of the black crush at extreme low values.
  • Also the stand is not very solid and it nods a bit if I knock the desk :p
All of these combined are less annoying than backlight bleed however :)

Back
Top Bottom