HP Omen 15 - My Experience.

Soldato
Just thought I'd post my experience on this here.

I bought a HP Omen 15, the particular version I obtained was HP OMEN 15-dc1045na

Specs as follows:

Intel i7-9750H (6C 12T)
16GB DDR4 2666 (2*8)
1080P screen at 144Hz
RTX 2070 Max Q.
256GB NVME / 1TB HDD (Replaced with 512GB Samsung Evo 970 & 2TB SSHD)

My first impressions of this laptop were how nice it looks and feels very sturdy, it is mostly plastic but there doesn't seem to be much flex and it feels very strong and stable. It is thicker than my old laptop but this is probably a benefit for cooling wise, it's not as wide due to the lack of bezels, makes it very compact and nicer to carry around

They keys seem run of the mill for a laptop, the back lighting does seem to be adequately bright but there is no different brightness levels and also lack of features, it is 4 zone but it doesn't have advanced effects such as flow.

The ventilation on this laptop has the air sucked through the bottom and expelled through the rear vents, I this has its disadvantages such as using the laptop in bed on a duvet, not a massive issue, just use a cooling pad.

The display I wasn't hoping much considering it's a 1080P 15.6", but I was pleasantly surprised, the viewing angles are great, minimal back light bleed, nice and bright and crisp screen! I can't fault it and I prefer it over the 3K screen that my previous Aorus laptop had.

Now onto the laptop running and tweaking it. initial use with the 256GB NVME the system is snappy, super quick to boot as you'd expect, a restart from desktop to desktop in 25 seconds. Not much noise coming from the system with general use and web browsing. There isn't much in the way of bloatware from HP, just the command center and another app I can't remember but nothing I would be too concerned with.

I had a clean install since I installed my Evo 970, HP command center installed, latest NV drivers and gave it a test on Cinebench R20 to check the thermals. My scores were around 2300 initially due to thermal throttling, as you can expect froma 6 core CPU in a laptop it's going to get toasty, very swiftly the CPU would throttle and lower the clocks substantially effecting performance.

I repasted the CPU with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, the process of taking the HSF off was a bit fiddly, mostly the small screws they're very delicate and have to be so careful not to damage them as to not be able to screw them in properly, then fiddling taking the fan grills off, took me quite a bit of time to work out how to get them back on. But in the grand scheme of things, very simple.

Now repasted, tweaking the CPU with an undervolt of -0.140mv on the core/cache and -0.100mv on the iGPU (unsure if this has any impact). The GPU is tweaked at a +130 on the core and +800 on the memory (Samsung memory). The results were a good 15 degrees reduction in temperature around 85 max in Cinebench R20 and scores improved to 3150.

Gaming wise, this laptop gets quite loud, but I don't find it overly distracting especially on the cooling pad, and to my surprise in BF V (Running exceptional smooth on Ultra with RTX enabled in DX12) the GPU was hitting clocks of up to 1950 and holding around 1800 at a minimum!

That's just a short type up of my findings with a 15.6" gaming laptop with a MAX Q GPU which seems to perform more like a full fat version, this version does have an 80W 2070 but on performance it can take over 90W.

Back
Top Bottom