HP Omen Accelerator Shell

Associate
Has anybody tried this? Managed to get an ultrabook for a very good price and would like to keep it as my main PC. Has TB connectivity and I would think it doesn't matter that it's not HP. Found one locally for £80 and going to check it out later today. Anything I should be aware of?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
IMG-20181105-141017144.jpg

Up and running

Soldato
How is it? I've a 1060 in my machine so don't need it right now, but was considering one for when the time to upgrade comes, although am wary of the fact there's a hit on performance.

Can't seem to find them for sale many places right now, am guessing they're perhaps rolling out an update or similar very soon.

Associate
OP
Only issues:
Dropping the LAN connection after a period of inactivity
PSU fan running even without load. Replaced the PSU with a passive one and all nice and quiet.
Short TB3 cable and difficult to find a longer one that will work without spending a fortune.
Too much empty space in the enclosure - could easily fit another couple of cards.

Don't think i would have bought it if i had a 1060 (or even 1050) in my laptop but as it's an ultrabook the difference in games is massive.

Soldato
Yeah it's not a 'now' consideration, its for further down the line. Dont get me wrong CPUs are surging forward now, but I suspect the 1060 will become old hat long before my 7700HQ.

RE: the LAN dropping, check there are no green ethernet options or the like. They can do things like that and put adaptors into sleep mode after periods of inactivity. Wouldnt surprise me if there's a way to stop that.

Wouldn't surprise me if they're working on a revision given the sales they were doing a while back and the fact they're rather hard to find right now. I'd be very surprised if they'd stopped making them given how much they were pushing the concept.

Back
Top Bottom