HP Omen Owners?

Associate
I've had no problems with it, pumps all the heat out the back. When playing a game you can feel the heat coming out the back vents but keyboard remains cool with only a slight warming around the JKNM keys.

Caporegime
Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

Finally got around to swapping out all the HD's etc today... what a bloomin faff! :rolleyes:

First I had to clone the stock Nvme SSD to my old SATA SSD using an external caddy which went smoothly.

Then came the physical bits. I bought a fancy metal popping tool and ended up scratching the case as I didn't realise (my fault) that 4 screws were hidden under near-invisible rubber stoppers which of course cause too much force to be used when trying to pry off the chassis, thus making my tool come out of the groove and on to my case. Finally got all the screws undone, popped it off, and swapped out the original SDD and HHD and replaced them with a 1TB SSD Nvme and a 1TB Samsung Evo 950 Evo SSD for storage.

Then came the cloning nightmare as for some reason the Samsung data migration tool and three other tools I tried didn't see the new 1TB Nvme SSD as a destination. I had to download Macrium Reflect to get it working (awesome tool).

Performance is spot on, its a beast, and Warhammer Total War looks utterly amazing and a world away from my old ASUS G751 with 980m (as awesome as that laptop was). With the 7700HQ and GTX 1070 I ultimately (for all its flaws) have a monster gaming laptop for much less than competing offerings and I know I am going to get some good mileage out of it on all of my current and older titles, especially where details and AA will be comfortably maxed.

Yes I technically voided my warranty but meh who gives a crap, this the last HP laptop I will buy so may as well run it into the ground. Lets see how it lasts over the next months. :)

Associate
Mediocre keyboard and awful touchpad (compared to my ASUS), and lack of access to basic components like the HD's. All imo fundamental things which next time I will aim to never again skimp on.

Is the RAM easier to access/upgrade?
Also, is there easy access to the fans to clean them or are they difficult to access as well?

Thanks.

Associate
Well, planning on opening mine this weekend to swap out the HDD's... goodbye warranty and I hope it goes smoothly. :)

Hey Richdog, having opened the laptop up, could you (or anyone else) tell me what the make and model of the stock HDD and SSD are?

Alternatively does anyone have any benchmark pictures of the OMEN "HP15-ax202na"?

Associate
Can anyone offer any input between:

i7 6700hq with 965m 4gb at 899 (15-ax002na)

i5 7300hq 1050 2gb at 829 (15-ax202na)

I'm worried the 2gb graphics will limit future gaming.

Associate
OP
I have the 965M version and it runs nice tbh

The CPU does heat up on some games (mainly H1Z1) but the GPU runs cool. To counter I have one of those cooling trays as well.

The only limitation I find is the 128gb SSD which is eaten up by GTA5! Which as a comparison runs at 1080 on high @ 60fps using vsync.

Caporegime
I keep looking at the HP site from time to time (not ready to buy one just yet) but it seems like they've upgraded the Omen range now with a user-removeable panel on the bottom from which you can access the HDD, SSD and RAM, which makes them a whole lot more appealing. Prices seem to have gone up now though. :(

Caporegime
I keep looking at the HP site from time to time (not ready to buy one just yet) but it seems like they've upgraded the Omen range now with a user-removeable panel on the bottom from which you can access the HDD, SSD and RAM, which makes them a whole lot more appealing. Prices seem to have gone up now though. :(

Mother****ers! Can you please show me where I can see that they are now user-accessible?

Back
Top Bottom