HP Omen Transcend - 32" OLED, 240Hz, KVM, 140W PD

Soldato
Yes, another CES announcement. This looks like an interesting monitor with great connectivity including HDMI 2.1 and DisplayPort 2.1. Also Dolby Vision and VESA DisplayHDR True Black 400 certified.

Image.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
This is the one for me I believe with it supporting DisplayPort 2.1 future proofing me with my purchase.

But do I have the patience to wait, with other one's dropping later this month!

Soldato
Yep out of all the new 32" monitors being announced I think this one has the extra features that will swing it for me. I also prefer the look of it. Really don't like the spindly little legs on some of the others like the Asus.

Soldato
OP
Last edited:
Soldato
Turns out this hasn't really got full fat DP2.1. I guess you could just use HDMI though.

Apparently still only listed as not available until "later this year".

The Gigabyte monitor supports the full fat 80GB/s DP2.1 https://www.techpowerup.com/319838/...displayport-2-1-and-a-4k-240-hz-qd-oled-panel

Associate
Why would it need to though? What benefit ??
Bandwidth:

• DisplayPort 1.4: 32.4 Gbps
  • DisplayPort 2.1: 80 Gbps
DisplayPort 2.1 offers nearly triple the bandwidth of DisplayPort 1.4, making it capable of supporting significantly higher resolutions and refresh rates.

Encoding:

• DisplayPort 1.4: 8b/10b encoding
  • DisplayPort 2.1: 128b/132b encoding
The encoding scheme used by DisplayPort 2.1 is more efficient, allowing it to achieve higher data transfer rates with less overhead.

Concurrent LT for Multiple Repeaters:

• DisplayPort 1.4: Trains repeaters one at a time
  • DisplayPort 2.1: Trains repeaters concurrently
This feature in DisplayPort 2.1 significantly reduces the time it takes to train multiple repeaters, which can be beneficial for long cable runs. See DisplayPort 128b132b Concurrent LTTPR Link Training for more details.

Forward Error Correction (FEC):

• DisplayPort 1.4: Optional
  • DisplayPort 2.1: Mandatory
FEC helps to ensure the integrity of data transmission by correcting errors that may occur during the transmission process.

Panel Replay (PR):

• DisplayPort 1.4: Not supported
  • DisplayPort 2.1: Supported
Panel Replay allows the display to store and replay static images, reducing power consumption.

Single Stream Transport (SST) and Multi-Stream Transport (MST):

• DisplayPort 1.4: SST is mandatory, MST is optional
  • DisplayPort 2.1: MST is the default; SST is optional through falling back to DisplayPort 1.4 link rates
Multi-Stream Transport (MST) allows a single DisplayPort device, i.e., GPU, to drive multiple displays.

Aux-Less Advanced Link Power Management (ALPM):

• DisplayPort 1.4: Not supported
  • DisplayPort 2.1: Supported
ALPM helps to reduce power consumption by allowing the DisplayPort link to be powered down during periods of inactivity.

Benefits of DisplayPort 2.1:

• Supports higher resolutions and refresh rates
  • More efficient: 128b/132b encoding scheme more efficient vs 8b/10b encoding
  • Better reliability: Forward Error Correction ensures data integrity
  • Reduced power consumption: Panel Replay and ALPM features

Whether or not it suits your use-case is up for debate, but I'm waiting on the DP 2.1 Gigabyte model to see what I can get up to with Custom Resolution Utility + MonInfo and perhaps be able to go 241-480hz+ or more on the panel at 2560x1440 or 1920x1080 (breaking my warranty of course in the process, if anything goes wrong)

as well as potentially 8k at 120hz or higher

Last edited:
Soldato
as well as potentially 8k at 120hz or higher
8k?on a 4k monitor. You had me thinking the higher refresh rates might be possible with some firmware hacks on the panel controller but there's no way of adding more pixels that aren't physically there.

As for your other points they don't sound like anything someone will notice when using the monitor normally. Sure true lossless transmission sounds great but realistically you wouldn't be able to pick a monitor running DSC and one doing lossless. Until we get over 4k @240hz DP2.1 is not necessary. I don't understand people future proofing their setups, your monitor will never need more bandwidth.

Last edited:
Associate
8k?on a 4k monitor. You had me thinking the higher refresh rates might be possible with some firmware hacks on the panel controller but there's no way of adding more pixels that aren't physically there.

As for your other points they don't sound like anything someone will notice when using the monitor normally. Sure true lossless transmission sounds great but realistically you wouldn't be able to pick a monitor running DSC and one doing lossless. Until we get over 4k @240hz DP2.1 is not necessary. I don't understand people future proofing their setups, your monitor will never need more bandwidth.
You can already do this with dummy hdmi/dp, to get 4k resolution options on a 1080p screen/device, this won't work for 8K with current affordable solutions anyway.

Which is why I want the monitor asap, then I know what is and isn't possible with DP 2.1.

Soldato
You can already do this with dummy hdmi/dp, to get 4k resolution options on a 1080p screen/device, this won't work for 8K with current affordable solutions anyway.

Which is why I want the monitor asap, then I know what is and isn't possible with DP 2.1.
Sorry I don't think you understand how monitors physically work. You can't add pixels that aren't there. Zoom in on a monitor, see the rgb dots? Those are the pixels, there is a limited amount on each screen. No matter what software hacks you do you won't increase the pixel density.

Associate
Sorry I don't think you understand how monitors physically work. You can't add pixels that aren't there. Zoom in on a monitor, see the rgb dots? Those are the pixels, there is a limited amount on each screen. No matter what software hacks you do you won't increase the pixel density.

I'm not claiming a monitor playing back at 4K is playing 4K natively, just that it has been set to 4K resolution on a 1080p display, where it wouldn't otherwise be possible....

Back
Top Bottom