HP ZR30w : A 30" IPS panel

Associate
I'm enjoying the wider gamut to be honest.

The over-saturation is only apparent when viewing videos.

For photos and games it looks good, but videos look over-saturated (blue and green mostly) and darker even at the brightest setting compared to my old TN screen at average brightness.

It could be cause I haven't changed any settings other than the brightness on the zr30w.

Soldato
I'm enjoying the wider gamut to be honest.

The over-saturation is only apparent when viewing videos.

For photos and games it looks good, but videos look over-saturated (blue and green mostly) and darker even at the brightest setting compared to my old TN screen at average brightness.

It could be cause I haven't changed any settings other than the brightness on the zr30w.

Not notice any over-saturation on mine either. Just left on default wich doesn't seem too bad.

Soldato
OP
[ui]ICEMAN;17524317 said:
You really can't see the tendency towards blue/green? If you place this monitor next to any other 30", you'll see it's almost ice blue!

Well, I don't have another 30" to test it with :p

But, next to my 24" TN panel (Iiyama B2403) there is no obvious "blue" tinting. I'll be the first to admit that I don't have the best eye for colour accuracy though...

Soldato
It doesn't extend very far from sRGB in terms of blue but it does in terms of green and red. Having tested the U2410 (I haven't tried the ZR30w for comparison) the image did not look cool at all (before or after it was calibrated) and oversaturation was only ever a 'problem' on Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising but it's more that I was super-fussy about the kind of look I want from that game and some of the greens were just a smidge too vibrant. Turning up the game gamma slightly quickly improved this and turning over to sRGB mode too. Turning over to sRGB mode also made the explosions, fires and various other elements of the game less 'lively' though so I preferred the slight gamma adjustment. I suppose the ZR30w doesn't have an OSD though so maybe it's not as simple 'on the fly'. :p On titles such as Dirt 2 and Bad Company 2 the broad gamut just brings the game to another level.

Soldato
Slight hijack, I bought a HP LP2475w back in april (going from a crt) and I'm very happy with it, but i wanted to extend the 3 year warranty, when i looked before the page never seemed to work. It is now though:

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/sm/WF13a/382087-382087-64283-3884471-3884471-3648442.html?lang=en&cc=uk&exp=direct&uExp=HPS#SupplyAccessoryInfo

It seems weird though, you can pay either £14 to extend the warranty by a year, or £24 for 2 years. Or you can wait for the warranty to expire (and presumably till the monitor breaks) and buy another years warranty for £6. Am I missing something?:confused:

Soldato
Slight hijack, I bought a HP LP2475w back in april (going from a crt) and I'm very happy with it, but i wanted to extend the 3 year warranty, when i looked before the page never seemed to work. It is now though:

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/sm/WF13a/382087-382087-64283-3884471-3884471-3648442.html?lang=en&cc=uk&exp=direct&uExp=HPS#SupplyAccessoryInfo

It seems weird though, you can pay either £14 to extend the warranty by a year, or £24 for 2 years. Or you can wait for the warranty to expire (and presumably till the monitor breaks) and buy another years warranty for £6. Am I missing something?:confused:

I'm sure thats not right, doesn't make sense and not worth the risk. £24 quid to extend the warranty an additional 2 years is a no brainer. Good for resale too. Just do it mate it.

Associate
A bit offtopic but has any who purchased the 2 year warranty extension (UE370E) for the ZR30W had any issues registering it?

I keep getting serial number incorrect messages :s

I copied the serial and product number displayed on the back of the monitor.

Soldato
A bit offtopic but has any who purchased the 2 year warranty extension (UE370E) for the ZR30W had any issues registering it?

I keep getting serial number incorrect messages :s

I copied the serial and product number displayed on the back of the monitor.

Yes I did have the same problem. It's the product code add a T to the end

Last edited:
Soldato
You guys think this will be a decent upgrade to a HP LP2745w? i already find it a great monitor but i would prefer bigger though wondering if the resolution in games will be amazing since people say it is and also it's around double the image quality of 1920x1080 i heard.

Soldato
OP
You guys think this will be a decent upgrade to a HP LP2745w? i already find it a great monitor but i would prefer bigger though wondering if the resolution in games will be amazing since people say it is and also it's around double the image quality of 1920x1080 i heard.

The resolution is 98% higher than a 1920*1080 screen (very nearly double), and the screen area is 64% larger. The pixel size is smaller than with 24" screens, which leads to a better quality image, despite the larger area.

Games look great due to the very high resolution, small pixel size, and very wide gamut. I also prefer the 116:10 aspect ratio. You will need a fair amount of GPU horsepower to run at these resolutions though.

It would certainly be a significant upgrade to the LP2745W. Whether it is worth the purchase price is something you will have to judge for yourself, but for my money it's the best gaming screen around. At least that's why I bought it...

As for the question of the warranty: Try entering VM617AT as the product code. In the manual my product code is listed as VM617A4, but the "AT" variant is a special offer code from HP, that they use to track sales of their on-offer products.

Soldato
Well i am really into my gaming, got an i7 920 at 4ghz now and a 5870 so should be fine for all games.

Have to wait 3 more weeks then will give my views on it but i think it will be worthwhile as i game a lot and want best performance. :)

Soldato
OP
Talk about widescreen! :eek:

Ha! :p

Slight mistype there...

Sycho, the other thing you could consider is a triple 24" setup. Either two more LP2745s, or, if you want to go all out, three Dell U2410s. There are advantages and disadvantages to a triple 24" setup over a single 30", so it will be up to personal taste which is best for you really.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well i am really into my gaming, got an i7 920 at 4ghz now and a 5870 so should be fine for all games.

Have to wait 3 more weeks then will give my views on it but i think it will be worthwhile as i game a lot and want best performance. :)

I'm running a single 5870 at stock and it handles everything I can thow at it. Crysis runs great, just dropped the AA off from the 4X I ran at 1920x1200. Can't say I noticed any difference in image quality going from 4X to 0X.

I don't mind throwing this amount of money at a monitor because I know I will be still using it in 5 years time. You can't say that about cpu, gpu .....

Soldato
OP
Just to let you know, the screen I describe in the original post is now available for sale in the MM.

It's a great screen, but unfortunately it won't work in an nvidia surround (triple-screen) setup with the two Hazro screens I have, due to differing monitor sync-polarities. Therefore, unfortunately, I'm selling it :(

It's a shame to sell the best screen I've ever used, but I received a Hazro as an RMA replacement, and unfortunately I can't afford to buy three ZR30Ws right now...

Back
Top Bottom