HSBC Advanced account - £6 under threshold

Associate
G'day all.

Quick money / banking related question for you all.

I'm looking to switch my current account and open a new savings account as mine are currently offering me 0.2%.

HSBC are currently offering £175 for switching to their advanced current account, and a linked 1 year 5% fixed savings account. Brilliant. However this account requires you to pay in (earn) £1750 a month. After NI, tax and 10% pensions, I bring home £1744 a month, so £6 shy of this figure.

Can the great GD (short of decreasing my pensions to 9%) think of any way I can increase my earnings to meet the threshold? I asked the bank and they said month transfers from another account (e.g. my partner transferring me £50 a month for bills) wouldn't count as it couldn't be a 'third party account'. So the 'paid in' amount can come from 2 locations, but must be an organisation 'paying' me and not an individual's personal account transferring me money.

Tl;dr: I need to increase my earnings by £6 a month to qualify for a certain bank account. How?
Cheers all!

Edit. I just got a pay rise this month already so can't do that for another few months minimum!

Last edited:
Soldato
Pay rise? Reduce your pension contributions?

If the £1750 needs to come from a single source, have your wage paid into your partners account and get them to send you £1750 a month as your pay (requires a lot of trust).

Soldato
G'day all.

Quick money / banking related question for you all.

I'm looking to switch my current account and open a new savings account as mine are currently offering me 0.2%.

HSBC are currently offering £175 for switching to their advanced current account, and a linked 1 year 5% fixed savings account. Brilliant. However this account requires you to pay in (earn) £1750 a month. After NI, tax and 10% pensions, I bring home £1744 a month, so £6 shy of this figure.

Can the great GD (short of decreasing my pensions to 9%) think of any way I can increase my earnings to meet the threshold? I asked the bank and they said month transfers from another account (e.g. my partner transferring me £50 a month for bills) wouldn't count as it couldn't be a 'third party account'.

Tl;dr: I need to increase my earnings by £6 a month to qualify for a certain bank account. How?
Cheers all!

Go to your boss, ask for a pay rise. That would be my advice. Failing that, paper round to bump up the income.

Soldato
Wait a couple of months: the tax bands usually all change come April ... hold off until then as either you will automagically qualify, or the changes will stuff you and you fall even further away from the threshold.

Associate
I think you might struggle with this. Maybe just wait until after April when you should qualify with the increase in personal allowance. Or, and a little unethical, apply saying you meet the criteria. I have a premier account and I applied over the phone, I was only asked to prove income at a much later date when I was in branch for something else. I believe they only periodically review eligibility.

Soldato
Wait a couple of months: the tax bands usually all change come April ... hold off until then as either you will automagically qualify, or the changes will stuff you and you fall even further away from the threshold.
This is a good shout, personal allowance is increasing. That should get you over the threshold.

Man of Honour
I'm looking to switch my current account and open a new savings account as mine are currently offering me 0.2%

It is pretty dismal :( I had some decent length bonus rates on my savings which carried me for awhile but now they've all expired and its like 0.28% and the interest has gone from reasonable to might as well not bother.

Man of Honour
I have an HSBC advance account - but it's not my primary account.

1) they'll run a credit check before the account is opened - just FYI
2) it doesn't matter where the money comes from (mine isn't from pay), as long as it's not an account within HSBC (or first direct i think as well, as they're linked)
3) you can have another account with another bank, and do a double transfer to hit the £1750 monthly minimum :)
4) the linked £250 5% regular saver is good. i suggest opening a first direct account too, as they have a £300 5% regular saver - MS bank (£250) and nationwide (£250) do too - if you can save that much monthly

Back
Top Bottom