htc vive set up

Associate
ive been reading there is 2 ways to set up the light houses as 1 can be wireless with channel b and c or with the sync cable on channel a and b, what 1 is better or is there any difference , as i would like to do it wireless but if effects performance then ill need to try hide the cables , also im planning just setting up for just standing or sitting really

Associate
I believe that the wireless performance is usually flawless. I don’t have a Vive myself but I’ve only seen advice re the sync cable for (seemingly rare) troubleshooting issues.

Soldato
The only reasons you'll need the cable are:

1) The distance between them is pushing the limits of what's possible (I think they start complaining when they're about 4.5m apart)
2) They don't have line of sight between each other (i.e. if you wall mount them in the top corners of your room but you have a light fitting in the room that's blocking the view between the base stations then the cable will keep them in sync)
3) They don't maintain a line of sight because you walk between them (i.e. if you're using tripods that mean the base stations are only 5 feet off the ground then when you walk between them they lose line of sight and tracking will be affected)

If none of those are an issue you don't need the wire. I've got a setup that uses no wires (at my house) and it's been like that since the launch of the HTC Vive and worked flawlessly.

I've also got a setup in work where the base stations are over 5m apart, so we use the cable simply to stop the warning popping up that they're too far apart. It also works fine.

Associate
OP
The only reasons you'll need the cable are:

1) The distance between them is pushing the limits of what's possible (I think they start complaining when they're about 4.5m apart)
2) They don't have line of sight between each other (i.e. if you wall mount them in the top corners of your room but you have a light fitting in the room that's blocking the view between the base stations then the cable will keep them in sync)
3) They don't maintain a line of sight because you walk between them (i.e. if you're using tripods that mean the base stations are only 5 feet off the ground then when you walk between them they lose line of sight and tracking will be affected)

If none of those are an issue you don't need the wire. I've got a setup that uses no wires (at my house) and it's been like that since the launch of the HTC Vive and worked flawlessly.

I've also got a setup in work where the base stations are over 5m apart, so we use the cable simply to stop the warning popping up that they're too far apart. It also works fine.
great info thanks guess ill try with out cables first but there is a light so could cause problems so might need to use the cable

Associate
Mine are about 5.5m apart, I use the sync cable in a+b or b+c configuration (mainly because a light fitting is in the way), and it still complains if I hover over them that they're too far apart. I just ignore the warning, haven't had any tracking problems whatsoever.

Back
Top Bottom