HTPC and game streamer

Associate
Recently been thinking thinking of replacing my ageing Sony Vaio svs13 laptop, as while it has served me well it doesn't quite have the grunt to play some recent games at minimum settings. However while browsing and not finding anything that takes my fancy I've come across another option that could prove to be more useful to the house hold in general.
I've found a 2nd hand Origen ae s16t at a price that doesn't give me a mild heart attack, and was wondering about setting it up as a media server/emulator box in the living room, then using the stream in-home streaming service for when I want to scratch that gaming itch (i'm no where near as keen as I used to be) however I'm rather out of touch on hardware as it's been a decade since I last built a system.
The device will only be working at fairly low resolution (a 720p pico projector in the living room, my 1600x900 laptop, and maybe the gf's laptop which is somewhere between the 2) so hoping I can keep costs down on components and I'm considering using second hand previous gen components where I can though I'm open to buying new where the price to performance ratio isn't so large.

As a rough idea this is along the lines of what I'm thinking system wise:

Case: Origen ae s16t- Basically I need a case with a built in display so it can sit on a shelf like a stereo and media can be accessed without firing up the projector. As mentioned I've managed to get it below half price but I'm open to other cases (would especially like something smaller) if they have a built in display. Alternatively anyone have any ideas for mounting small displays to other cases, have been tempted to try a 7" USB powered screen with a zotac magnus en1060 if I could find away to make it tidy.

CPU: A new intel G4600 or used i5 6500? Both can be got for close to the the same price. I know some emultors care more about clock speed than cores making the G4600 viable but will I miss the extra cores to handle background processes? Recommended coolers would like to try and keep the system quiet

GPU: A gtx 1060 would probably be ideal but a bit more than I'd like to spend ideally, wondering whether to go for the 1050ti or whether and second hand 970 or 980 would be more value for money. I am also interested in trying to keep sound and power usage down abit so any advice in optimising this would be great. Oh card length needs to be <245mm though i think I can stretch to 280mm if I don't use all the hard drive slots.

Storage: Probably an m2. drive for o/s and programs if the motherboard allows and add mechanical drives for media as needed, again recommendations for quiet drives would be great.

Motherboard: Not really got a clue guess it depends on the CPU and if there's change in the case used. Built in wifi would be nice though I'm hoping to have it connected directly to the router being as its streaming to the rest of the network. any useful things to look out for here?

Power supply: Shouldn't need to be huge but again I'm out of touch with power requirements these days, would like to be as quiet as possible, would fanless be an option or would a fan be useful to aid extraction of heat from other components.

In addition to this hardware wise any hints for keeping noise/power consumption down would be gratefully accepted along with things I might need to consider network wise.

Software wise Kodi seems to be the way to go for controlling directly from the HTPC but not sure how to set things up so other devices can access music and video from the device via the network?

Sorry for length but thanks for any help that can be given.

Associate
Software wise Kodi seems to be the way to go for controlling directly from the HTPC but not sure how to set things up so other devices can access music and video from the device via the network?
You need to activate 'samba' when configuring it, so pc's etc can access it like a normal network device , \\ipadress of kodi\.
It can also act as a dlna server so tv's etc that are networked can play back from it.

Associate
Steam Link. Dirt cheap. Lets you use your gaming PC in any room in the house. Just run an ethernet cable to it from your router. I used to have an HTPC in the living room but I replaced it with the steam link. Youtube, netflix, kodi, gaming, I can use it for anything. And not just Steam games, other games too.

Kick @ss product for sure.

On an american forum I'm on I convinced 8 people to get one. They are all pleased.

Associate
OP
You need to activate 'samba' when configuring it, so pc's etc can access it like a normal network device , \\ipadress of kodi\.
It can also act as a dlna server so tv's etc that are networked can play back from it.

Guessing that's if using the linux based forms of Kodi like Openelec?

Steam Link. Dirt cheap. Lets you use your gaming PC in any room in the house. Just run an ethernet cable to it from your router. I used to have an HTPC in the living room but I replaced it with the steam link. Youtube, netflix, kodi, gaming, I can use it for anything. And not just Steam games, other games too.
Steam link looks great unfortunately I don't have a gaming pc to stream from, the idea is to build a multi purpose HTPC than can be used to act as a stereo (using a touch screen) miracast video to the projector and use steam in home streaming games to my old laptop.

Associate
OP
Had a bit of a rethink and the OrigenAE s16t I saw going for a decent price is too deep to fit on a shelf with out overhanging so back to the drawing board on that front.
Thinking of getting an external 7" monitor and mounting it to the front of a case the Sugo SG06 looks like a contender for this, should be able to run the hdmi cable through an expansion slot under the mother board and make a small hole in front panel behind the monitor, also a bit risky I suppose but being as the 7" monitors are DC12V and <10watt I should be able to replace a molex with as dc barrel connector to power it right?

Internals wise in an effort to save money I'm thinking of switching from the g4560 and 1050 ti to the soon to be released A12 9800 APU while it has less grunt it should have similar grunt to kaveri (maybe slight improvement with ddr4) which seems capable below 1080p, and offers more future proofing with the AM4 platform. Also tempting with the AMD APU set up is the possibility of running it in one of the Streacom fanless cases as its apparently only 65w but that cancels out the space saving.

At the moment this is what the shopping list is looking like:

Case: Sugo SG06- £45
PSU: Silverstone st03sf 300w SFX- £45
Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350N gaming- £111
APU: A12 9800- £95
Cooler: Noctua NH L9x65 SE-AM4 -£40
Memory: 16Gb corsair vengance 3200mhz- £138
SSD: 240GB WD green m.2 sata- £75
HDD: 1TB seagate barracuda- £45

Any tips for reducing cost or sound would be great as its going to be kept in the living room, I guess RAM is one possibility for cost saving but went with the fastest the motherboard could handle and a larger quantity than I'd normally bother with due to the APU benefiting from it.

Many thanks

Back
Top Bottom