HX850 - Should it sound like this?

Soldato
I'm convinced my PSU shouldn't make this sort of noise. Spec in sig when I boot up a game it spools up like a gud-en, after 15mins it's even louder than the video. Really started to notice it since I put a Hybrid cooler on my Xp. It's always been like this so nothing new but I've opened up a post in the past and every-one say's its a quite PSU. Could it be cause it's close to the table and can't breathe?

Here's a video, skip between beginning and end for comparison. Starts making a noise at 22 seconds

Soldato
That sounds rather loud, if the noise is only coming from the PSU it sounds like it's getting rather hot and spinning the fan up to cool it, how old is the unit?

Soldato
An 850W unit shouldn't be that loud if it is only powering a single Titan xp gpu. I would try for an RMA with Corsair. They have a UK based returns place now (Based in Bolton I think) so it shouldn't be too long of a turn around.

Another option would be to buy a new unit, and then sell the RMA'd one in the members market.

Soldato
Thats sounds terrible, no way should it be anything like that.

I've got PSU's that I can't even hear over GPU fans, and effectively passive at other times. The noise your PSU is making is way above what it should be.

Associate
I have the exact same psu thats just ovet 7 years old. It spent all 7 years on top of a carpet in a 800s case and it has never made this noise.

Its a pita but I'd return it.

Back
Top Bottom