Hydraulic brakes

Associate
Hi everyone,

After some advice as I am well out of the loop on anything to do with bikes these days...

I am after some Hydraulic brakes for my bike, looked around a bit online but don't know what I want/need or where to get it from.

My bike is a Specialized Stumpjumper HT, I believe it is a 2006/07 model. I have had it for a very long time, but it's not in too bad a condition (apart from the brakes).

The brakes are shot, I've already removed the front brake (used the cable to fix my son's bike).

I want to upgrade to some Hydraulic disk brakes.

For ease, I'd like a complete kit to fit, if that's an option. If not, happy to buy the parts individually. something that's low maintenance? Not sure how much maintenance is required, They won't be getting used loads or abused too much.

Thinking £100-150 if that's possible to get something half decent? Edit: maybe £150 is overkill for what I need!?

Don't know anything about sizing, I assume it is a universal size.

Please help!

The tire and front wheel needs swapping as the mount for the disk is currently on the other side.

Last edited:
Soldato
Can you even get hydraulic rim brakes???

If you want hydraulic disc brakes it looks like you're going to need new wheels, brakes (whole kit), discs, pads, adapters.
This is going to cost way more than £150, and on top of that you'll probably need to drill out your current cable mounts to accommodate the thicker brake lines.

I'd just refurbish your current rim brakes, parts should be cheap and easy to find.

EDIT...
Well I'm blowed, seems you can get hydraulic rim brakes, who knew :D link

Edit edit..
Even still, I think you'd still be better off just refurbishing your current rim brakes. Why go to the hassle of maintaining hydraulic rim brakes that won't necessarily perform any better than cable rim brakes.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Can you even get hydraulic rim brakes???

If you want hydraulic disc brakes it looks like you're going to need new wheels, brakes (whole kit), discs, pads, adapters.
This is going to cost way more than £150, and on top of that you'll probably need to drill out your current cable mounts to accommodate the thicker brake lines.

I'd just refurbish your current rim brakes, parts should be cheap and easy to find.

EDIT...
Well I'm blowed, seems you can get hydraulic rim brakes, who knew :D link

Edit edit..
Even still, I think you'd still be better off just refurbishing your current rim brakes. Why go to the hassle of maintaining hydraulic rim brakes that won't necessarily perform any better than cable rim brakes.
Thanks for the reply.

I'm sure my bike can take disks, and some models in the same year it may have been an extra, I'm sure I've seen some fitted...

Are these not the mounting points on the frame/forks/hubs and cable route?

53811162183_ba45fbabd5_b.jpg
[/url]

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yeah, it was my understanding that it was disk ready... (I know my front wheel is on the wrong way around at the moment.)

I just need a kit, as far as I can tell.
I posted one I found above. 203mm rotors might not fit though, 160 or 180 are probably a better bet.

These are another decently priced set:

I recently changed mine and you'll need a bleed kit and a hose cutting/insert kit in all likelihood. Torque wrench too although you can wing it.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
cool, so just a case of buying a kit and fitting by the looks of it. No extra mounts/adaptors needed?

Are Clarks decent?

what are the go to online retailers that are good for parts?

Soldato
Have you thought about asking Specialized what would fit? If some of the bikes originally had disc brakes fitted then they may be able to recommend something.

Caporegime
cool, so just a case of buying a kit and fitting by the looks of it. No extra mounts/adaptors needed?

Are Clarks decent?

what are the go to online retailers that are good for parts?
You will likely need post mount adaptors depending on what size rotor your fork and frame are designed to take.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
You will likely need post mount adaptors depending on what size rotor your fork and frame are designed to take.
Have you thought about asking Specialized what would fit? If some of the bikes originally had disc brakes fitted then they may be able to recommend something.

I'll see if I can find some details online for sizes, if not a quick email to Specialized may be the way to confirm it.

Soldato
As said, you have caliper mounts and 6 bolt fittings on the wheels (couldn't see that from op pictures) so you just need a complete kit.

You may also need bracket adapters, IS to post, but it depends on what the kit comes with.

I have a set of those Clarks m4 on an old hardtail and with some sintered pads they are pretty powerful, they're also a 4 pot system and come with a spare olive and insert if you need to shorten one of the lines.
Clarks and Tektro are both budget makes, you can pick up Shimano mt200's cheap on eBay(no idea if they are legit) but you'd need discs and adapters also, however even the budget 4 pot systems should perform better.

Other than that, keep an eye out on eBay for a second-hand complete Shimano brake set.

Soldato
Bear in mind you may need to shorten the hoses and lightly rebleed, i'm not knowledgeable on what's available that is buy and fit. Some can be rebled easy or don't require a top up after a hose cut, but unlikely on cheap models i expect. Large rotors will be overkill too and stress the bike.

I'd just keep with the Vs. New cable set and pads, and a spring stretch is lightly enough. It's a tidy bike still.

Soldato
It might not be the most popular opinion, but unless you can find something used on ebay brakeset wise, i think my preference would be to either just refresh the rim brakes which would keep costs low and still get better braking power or sell and buy a used bike with disc brakes already. I bought a Merida Big Nine 60 for ~£200 which would be a better all round bike and do away with a horrible triple crankset.

Completely random pick here, but this is £160

You'd probably be spending that or more by the time you buy the brakes above for £110 and then start to add rotors and bleed kits etc.

Caporegime
It might not be the most popular opinion, but unless you can find something used on ebay brakeset wise, i think my preference would be to either just refresh the rim brakes which would keep costs low and still get better braking power or sell and buy a used bike with disc brakes already. I bought a Merida Big Nine 60 for ~£200 which would be a better all round bike and do away with a horrible triple crankset.

Completely random pick here, but this is £160

You'd probably be spending that or more by the time you buy the brakes above for £110 and then start to add rotors and bleed kits etc.

This is what I'd do.

You'll get a newer bike for not much more, it's a buyer's market at the moment.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Honestly I would just get some cheap shimano disc brakes. They are fantastic and dirt cheap. As far as I can tell you don't need any new parts other than the disc brakes themselves. Wheels and frame are ready.

You would need adaptors for these but man you can get some cheap and good disc brakes these days. The only snagging point might be needing to bleed them if/when you shorten the lines.

Back
Top Bottom