Hyper-V and Processor architecture?

Soldato
Morning All,

We currently have a single Hyper-V host and I want to add redundancy by adding a second host and replication.

However, the current host is a little over a year old and the processor (E5-2690v3) is no longer the current model, the v4 being out now. I was looking at using a E5-2640v3 (8 cores instead of 12 but the same architecture - it will be running a couple of VMs normally with some spare capacity to run other services in an emergency) but vendors are telling me to use a E5-2620v4 8 core instead.

Hyper-V works best when you use the processors fully, but for compatibility between different devices and replication, you can disable some features - would I need to do this between a v3 and v4?

Associate
Personally i'd try and keep everything as similar as possible if you have any doubt at all. The minor differences in architecture between those chips make it *unlikely* that a guest will only work when on one of the two systems, but you may find it runs a little faster on one than the other. I just moved some VM's from a HP G6 to a G9 without issue for example, but that was a permanent migration.

Associate
If you are using hyper-v replication then you wont need to set the CPU compatibility flag, as its technically a reboot when you fail over to the replica. If you are using fail over clustering you will need to set the compatibility flag to on as there is no reboot on migration and I think there are extra features within v4 that are missing from v3.

I'd get the v4 if you are using replication. v3 only if you are planning on a failover cluster.

Back
Top Bottom