HyperV Vs Docker

Soldato
I run Windows Server 2016 at home for a file server, tv tuner, plex server etc. I have added a second network card I had spare and I'm looking to set up pihole, CCTV etc too.

I had originally planned to run pihole on headless Ubuntu via hyper V, but I came across dockers, which can apparently run on windows.

What are the pros and cons of each?

Associate
Hyper-V is a tier one Hypervisor that allows you to run multiple guest OS' as VMs. Docker on the other hand runs "containers" which share the same guest OS but the applications within them are separated.

Your best solution would involve a mixture of Docker and Hyper-V. Hyper-V to host your current server as a Windows VM and another VM for your docker containers

Soldato
Hypervisor + VM (inc Docker) is a pretty well established solution - I run Ubuntu for this. Another popular home solution is UnRAID (or similar) which has docker and VM support. Other micro distributions exist that will support both, but it depends on what you intend on doing/running.

Soldato
OP
I've had chance to have a look at this and got hyper-v working on a very basic level.

What I can't get my head round, despite reading guides, is the hyper-v virtual switch.

I have onboard gigabit and a gigabit network card. I want (i think i do at least!) the VMs to run through the onboard and the server to run through the network card.

In my mind, this will mean the VMs access the virtual switch and connect via gigabit to my physical switch and the server accesses the physical switch as normal.

ie I am hoping to achieve
Physical Switch -> Network Card -> Server 2016 on IP address .99
Physical Switch -> Onboard -> Virtual Switch -> VM Pihole on .98
Physical Switch -> Onboard -> Virtual Switch -> VM XYZ on .97

https://www.altaro.com/hyper-v/the-hyper-v-virtual-switch-explained-part-1//

What type of virtual switch do i want? I think I want external? How can I force traffic through the appropriate network cards?

Any pointers appreciated.

Soldato
Yes, you want an external vSwitch if you want guest VMs to have physical network access. When creating the vSwitch, select the card you want to use for it, leaving traffic for the host OS on the other NIC.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the responses. I've been playing for a while and managed to make a bit of progress.

I can't get my head around docker, either through windows or a VM, so i've given up on that.

I've managed to successfully set up pihole on a VM with a headless ubuntu install and think I've managed to get my head around setting a static ip address by editing the text file. This seemed to be my biggest obstacle oddly!

Eventually managed to follow https://www.itzgeek.com/how-tos/lin...ip-address-in-ubuntu-18-04-using-netplan.html

A lot of the guides seemed to refer to ifconig command, which is no longer current, which didn't help matters.

I'll test this over the next few days, but fingers crossed.

Back
Top Bottom