I am not familiar with Windows 10 . . . but it seems to include lots of "Junk".

Associate
Anyone as cynical as me to think this is all M&S gearing up for a "classic" version of Windows at some point - e.g. all the security and usability of a modern OS but without all the spyware in 10? I mean, they can't really be stupid enough to believe that people actually want all the **** that's being forced on them... can they?

What kind of OS will M&S come out with? :p

Man of Honour
Anyone as cynical as me to think this is all M&S gearing up for a "classic" version of Windows at some point - e.g. all the security and usability of a modern OS but without all the spyware in 10? I mean, they can't really be stupid enough to believe that people actually want all the **** that's being forced on them... can they?

Honestly I think they really are that out of touch - almost always when I've seen a MS employee commenting about Windows 10 it has been a touch contemptuous about the end user and completely disconnected from reality.

Personally I'm not too bothered about what they do with the home edition if they at least made the professional edition more like the classic experience with the ability to properly take control of the OS - I mean that is kind of the point of having a pro edition.

Problem is most people have just dumbly accepted whatever form the OS takes and not pushed back for a better experience :(

Associate
This is not just an operating system, this is a spyware filled bloated monstrosity of an operating system (but if you want DX12 you're just going to have to suck it up)...

I blame autocorrect on my phone :p

Sounds like a good & honest advert :D

As for DX12, meh! Vulkan all the way :cool:

Associate
thing i hate about W10 (and W8) is that its constantly writing to the disk loads of logs for telemetry/diagnostics... not great for SSD's, i got rid of Cortana (uninstalled via script) and used another guide on disabling a lot of useless stuff, and I use Spybot's Anti-Beacon that turns of all telemetry, reduced the writes quite a bit.

V1HSd8M.jpg

Soldato
ty for the link, ill have a read through it :)

Do you know if Windows updates can still add things back that have been removed from the OS using the toolkit?
Windows update doesn't add apps back in my own experience. The only time when apps might return, is when the large 6 month updates are released, ie: Creators, etc.

Soldato
Windows update doesn't add apps back in my own experience. The only time when apps might return, is when the large 6 month updates are released, ie: Creators, etc.

Ok, I will give this a try. for some reason the W10 creation tool gives you a install.ESD instead of install.WIM in the sources folder so the toolkit doesn't work as the .wim file is not there

Soldato
Ok, I will give this a try. for some reason the W10 creation tool gives you a install.ESD instead of install.WIM in the sources folder so the toolkit doesn't work as the .wim file is not there
There is an option in the toolkit to convert esd to wim files and vice-versa. Look in the Covnert menu (option 2).

Soldato
A bit OT maybe, but it seems that as well as re-enabling ****, the 'fall' update also wipes out RSAT :(

Thanks Microsoft, I look forward to the next big update, when I have to go through the rigmarole of getting things just so again!

Edit: aaaaaaaand... It seems they've also got rid of the extended/full touchscreen keyboard! Only way to salvage it, is to take files from a pre 1709 version. What are Microsoft smoking these days?!?

Last edited:
Soldato
what can be removed and/or stopped?

Isn't it obvious?

Windows 10 can be removed.

I don't know why people are so compliant these days. I installed windows 10, and it was absolutely jam packed full of more malware and viruses right out of the box than I have ever experienced in over two decades working with computers. Within 10 minutes of CLEAN installation it kept on force-installing multiple EPSIS cr-apps like Facebook, as well as crapp games like candy crush to fake their market stats. Forcing installation of infected drivers which enable hardware level data extraction and whatnot.

Man of Honour
Ccleaner can be used to uninstall a lot of the rubbish. I used it to uninstall the windows store, onedrive and everything else I didn't want or need and it worked a treat. Unfortunately when there is a feature update a lot of the crap get's reinstalled so you have to go through uninstalling and tweaking things again to get back to where you were.

Soldato
O&O Shutup and Spybot Antibeacon do a decent job of turning stuff off for novice users. It's all reversible by simply ticking boxes. There's no real danger of bricking anything unlike some of the more hardcore scripts and tools out there.

I just discovered the damn thing is installing all kinds of crap like Candy Soda Saga or some other rubbish - by itself!

W10 has a habit of re installing stuff removed when it does big updates. Have you just had the Autumn update install?

Granted W8 / W8.1 had bad press, but even that doesn't force stuff on me. So if I remove a stock app, it stays removed. I stuck with W8.1 because I like the full screen start menu. Being visually impaired, I work better with it because it's visual memory instead of reading text labels. It's like using Android with the app text titles removed so that you just see their icons.

Back
Top Bottom