I am so unlucky :(

Associate
I don't know that you're unlucky, more just a victim of what has become all too common an occurence. Buying a monitor is one of the biggest lotteries going, and an incredibly stressful experience. I went through 7 myself before finding a decent one. :(
Exactly. Went through 4 monitors and 2 4k TVs before finding a display good enough. But still required adjustments, which wasn't the case many years ago when bought a Dell IPS.

rn2

rn2

Associate
I owned an Aoc G2460PG gsync monitor and bought it just before they were discontinued. It was definitely the best in terms of zero clouding (completely dark all over) but had a little bit of back light bleed so I stuck little bits of thin card behind various parts of the bezel and fixed 90% of it.

Fast forward to a year later and I noticed a light spot on the bottom edge which bothered me for days and with much tampering I finally cracked the screen at the bottom and have a couple of nice lines going straight down the monitor.

To be honest it would have just always bothered me so as weird as it sounds in a way I’m relieved as now I know for sure I can’t fix it.

Cost me £325.

Now I am near enough not interested in buying a monitor if even when perfect can still start showing BLB after a year and especially at the prices they are so I’ll end up getting a non gsync until hopefully one day maybe a company starts building monitors properly.

Funny how I had an old Samsung 21” before this monitor for nearly 14 years with no BLB or clouding and it cost me £120.

Last edited:

rn2

rn2

Associate
I wonder if it’s worth buying a refurbished monitor or contacting such a company and asking them to look out for what you want and to make sure for example BLB is completely fixed before selling it to you. Rather than buying a new monitor that’s boxed and can’t be checked.

Associate
CRG 9 1 - dead pixel x2
CRG 9 2 - stuck pixel in middle of screen bright white on black
CRG 9 3 - electrical burning smell and cracking noises constantly

Then they sold out. Kept the dead pixel one from Rainforest and they said once its back in stock, they'll replace it even if it takes 6 months. otherwise will return it at 6 month mark if i want.

CRG90 - First: Loud buzzing sound coming out the top right hand side of monitor.
CRG90 - Second: Ghosting, very bad.
CRG90 - Third: Ghosting, annoying noise, Top Right, back - same spot as in the first monitor (granted not as loud and keeps the same pitch), weird "cracking" noise when turning on the monitor, this lasts for 10 minutes.
CRG90 - Forth: Ordered from OC,again, coming tomorrow. Fingers crossed. The monitor is amazing, picture/size beautiful - there is no way I can go back. I will keep getting one till its fault free.. but, WTF Samsung, do you ever have a QA department.

EDIT: Got the 4th CRG90 this morning, just as I was packing the 3rd away, and;
https://drive.google.com/file/d/11qVQ0lTRNKWd4oPkLkxIhqBl9j4T3lC3/view?usp=sharing

><

Last edited:
Caporegime
hehe, one should not ever buy a B-Grade monitor! I'd love a 34GK950F, though, but somewhat way over my budget!

Maybe not anymore. But I have bought 3 monitors from ocuk B grade and all three have been prefect. The worst one was missing the remote control and that was it. All three ahd perfect screens, no dead pixels and no BLB.

But i would buy one nowadays sadly. Monitiors have got much worse.

Associate
AOC AGON AG322QC4 - vertical bands down screen and flickering freesync
Electriq 35@ curved - worst backlight bleed I've ever seen, flashing freesync
LG 32GK850F - gap in chassis between display and bezel letting backlight through
2nd 32GK850F - Chassis is bent inversely on the right hand side, enough that the lower bezel sits several mm from the front of the casing
3rd 32GK850F - Black line with faint white line above it going horizontally across the screen

sigh!

Well, now you know why you shouldn't have slept with the DPD driver's wife

Soldato
CRG90 - First: Loud buzzing sound coming out the top right hand side of monitor.
CRG90 - Third: Ghosting, annoying noise, Top Right, back - same spot as in the first monitor (granted not as loud and keeps the same pitch), weird "cracking" noise when turning on the monitor, this lasts for 10 minutes.
CRG90 - Forth: Ordered from OC,again, coming tomorrow. Fingers crossed. The monitor is amazing, picture/size beautiful - there is no way I can go back. I will keep getting one till its fault free.. but, WTF Samsung, do you ever have a QA department.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11qVQ0lTRNKWd4oPkLkxIhqBl9j4T3lC3/view?usp=sharing

><

Oh my god.

In regards to the CRG9, have you contemplated getting a 55' OLED instead from LG?
You will take a hit on PPI but you can just move it a bit further back and it'll have the same physical width as the CRG9 with superior colours.

Maybe just something to consider as if I don't win the CRG9 lottery this time around it will be what I will consider (or just go back to my trusted IPS glow Alienware monitors). I can't stand the concept of paying £1,000+ for a defective panel. But god damn 32:9 is nice.

Soldato
Picked up a PG35VQ, even after the reports of issues with flickering etc and I can’t find a fault with it yet... only spent an hour or two with it so far but can find any flickering issues, backlight bleed, dead/stuck pixels or anything...

What are your thoughts on it?

With regards to the likes of VA performance, fan noise, hdr performance, FALD etc. I’ve seen a few people complaining about flickering issues and such elsewhere which has put me off.

Been considering one for a while, well wanted once since they were announced back in 2017. Struggling to find any reviews or many owners here other than the usual reviews on YT.

Last edited:
Soldato
Garbage LCD's.

BRING BACK CRT's!!!
You say this as a joke but it's worth remembering that LCD never actually replaced CRT because it was better, it replaced it because it was cheaper to buy, had a higher profit margin for manufacturers, had lower QC requirements and thus lower warranty expectations, and CRTs fell foul of the same EU ban as plasma TVs.

If they were still in mainstream production today then you would be able to buy a 27" 16:9 CRT screen with HDR, native support for 1080p AND 1440p AND 4K, up to 300Hz refresh and 0MS response time. Of course you would need a substantial desk to take the weight haha.

Permabanned
What are your thoughts on it?

With regards to the likes of VA performance, fan noise, hdr performance, FALD etc. I’ve seen a few people complaining about flickering issues and such elsewhere which has put me off.

Been considering one for a while, well wanted once since they were announced back in 2017. Struggling to find any reviews or many owners here other than the usual reviews on YT.

I like it a lot, it hasn't let down on my expectations... I haven't spent a huge amount of time with it, maybe 4-6 hours playing BFV, but it's proving to be the perfect single monitor finally... high refresh rate with good colours and reasonable resolution - so it's good for photo/video editing as well as FPS gaming & I no longer have to switch between monitors for different things.

I have not yet experienced any of the reported flickering issues.

I have not yet noticed the fan noise, but I usually have the AC on in my office. It's definitely not the high pitched annoying wine of the 27".

HDR performance seems good, but I don't have anything to compare it against in other HDR PC Monitors... I notice a big difference between HDR enabled and not.

The FALD halos around mouse pointer reported in the youtube reviews are noticeable but not annoying... otherwise it performs well.

VA performance is good... it's response is quick enough to make good use of the full refresh rate with no ghosting or similar issues.

Despite being good, I think it's absurdly overpriced... should be more like £1500 max.

Only a silly annoyance but the power brick is huge and heavy, with the cable to short to have it plugged into the monitor with the brick on the floor and it's too heavy to leave it dangling... so I have to have a huge power brick sitting on the desk behind the monitor.

I'm happy with it, but unless you're desperate for this specific feature set and won't compromise... it really isn't worth 3-4x the price of the 165Hz 2560x1440 monitor it's replaced for me.

Soldato
I like it a lot, it hasn't let down on my expectations... I haven't spent a huge amount of time with it, maybe 4-6 hours playing BFV, but it's proving to be the perfect single monitor finally... high refresh rate with good colours and reasonable resolution - so it's good for photo/video editing as well as FPS gaming & I no longer have to switch between monitors for different things.

I have not yet experienced any of the reported flickering issues.

I have not yet noticed the fan noise, but I usually have the AC on in my office. It's definitely not the high pitched annoying wine of the 27".

HDR performance seems good, but I don't have anything to compare it against in other HDR PC Monitors... I notice a big difference between HDR enabled and not.

The FALD halos around mouse pointer reported in the youtube reviews are noticeable but not annoying... otherwise it performs well.

VA performance is good... it's response is quick enough to make good use of the full refresh rate with no ghosting or similar issues.

Despite being good, I think it's absurdly overpriced... should be more like £1500 max.

Only a silly annoyance but the power brick is huge and heavy, with the cable to short to have it plugged into the monitor with the brick on the floor and it's too heavy to leave it dangling... so I have to have a huge power brick sitting on the desk behind the monitor.

I'm happy with it, but unless you're desperate for this specific feature set and won't compromise... it really isn't worth 3-4x the price of the 165Hz 2560x1440 monitor it's replaced for me.

I agree the pricing is ludicrous and it’s likely I’ll just grab another 165hz as it really only gets used for fps games (rest on my OLED). But I just thought I’d ask before deciding over the next week or so, so thanks for the reply :).

Last edited:
Soldato
You say this as a joke but it's worth remembering that LCD never actually replaced CRT because it was better, it replaced it because it was cheaper to buy, had a higher profit margin for manufacturers, had lower QC requirements and thus lower warranty expectations, and CRTs fell foul of the same EU ban as plasma TVs.

Oh I wasn't saying as a joke, i was being serious and meant it!

I had a 19in Mitsubishi Diamond Pro CRT back in the day and regret selling it to this day...nothing, nothing compares to the IQ of a top end CRT.

Soldato

><

Jesus, that's a big spider!

Soldato
Associate
Not sure about unlucky i tried samsung G70 VA which had ghosting and glitchy software at times washed out colours. Then a Dell S2719DGF dropped down a size thought i would try a tn as reviews seemed very positive.. couldn't get away with it fast but just seemed lifeless and it had the gamna issue. I have a asus rog ultrawide ips but just find it a gpu hog and only 100htz so finally 3rd attempt went up a size again and ordered the AOC AG322QC4 with very low expectations and dreaded turning it in tbh but its a lovely monitor i love it so far panel has no ghosting banding the pixel check colours look very good and uniform with only a little higher brightness along bottom edge of screen which i can live with. I have both my ultra wide ips and the AOC Va on my desk (ips relegated to photography image duties) i can highly recommend the AOC and i never thought i could live with a VA panel !

Soldato
so finally 3rd attempt went up a size again and ordered the AOC AG322QC4 with very low expectations

...I had one of those and I could only stick it out for 3 days before returning it. Appalling monitor, 1440p just looks, well, rubbish on a 32in panel, the black crush was terrible, the motion blur/smearing in racing games was vomit inducing & not to mention the visual artifacting, a kind of small crosshatch pattern in parts of the screen, mostly across the centre, when running the monitor at its 144Hz refresh rate.

VA panels are just crap, period.

Soldato
I've had issues with the last 3 monitors I have bought. I have had a dead pixel in my Philips 4k monitor from new but it's not noticeable from about 2 feet away so I just sucked it up.

Associate
...I had one of those and I could only stick it out for 3 days before returning it. Appalling monitor, 1440p just looks, well, rubbish on a 32in panel, the black crush was terrible, the motion blur/smearing in racing games was vomit inducing & not to mention the visual artifacting, a kind of small crosshatch pattern in parts of the screen, mostly across the centre, when running the monitor at its 144Hz refresh rate.

VA panels are just crap, period.
This is my point and i was of the exact opinion and why i posted. I was wrong.. i returned the Samsung VA due to some of what you describe but i do not get these problems with the AOC panel you just lost the lottery again, brandishing a technology crap is unfair in my opinion all LCD tech is pretty crap that includes TN and IPS they all have strenghths and weaknesses chief. And yes on a 32 inch screen its not the prettiest but a compromise between speed response times and what your pc and gpu can handle if you just want pretty at 60htz go 4k. I use 2 screens for different uses one for pretty one for gaming it's an expensive nightmare Tyring to get one screen rules them all
Also a bonus with AOC i can watch 4k movies and play games via xbox as the panel seams to be able to display a higher 4K resolution so the 32 inch screen is fine not horrible as you describe

Last edited:
Permabanned
Kind of a blanket statement to make.

I would take a good VA over any other type of LCD and they are basically all crap (LCD tech compared to CRT/Plasma/OLED) but at least I can get better blacks and contrast ratio on a VA hence nearly all high ends TV are/were VA (I know LG was till 2014 then went IPS in 2015 not sure if they went back but the reviews said poor blacks on the 2015 models).

VA may smear and IPS have glow so...

Back
Top Bottom