I cant seem to get my Floppy Drive to work?

Soldato
Can anyone help me out, my floppy drive always shows up in My Computer, and I went to install driver in Device Manager and that all seems ok and it says The Device is working properly but when I put a disk in it always says there's no disk inserted. Cant understand it. Is there something you need to do to get a floppy drive to work? do you have to install drivers or need some windows updates?

Also it doesnt seem to matter if I have the floppy drive plugged in or not, it still shows up in my computer, why is that, why does my computer think its there even when its not. I really dont understand any of this.

Cheers in advance,

SkScotchegg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well a few mins ago when I put it in and turned on the PC the light on the floppy drive was on, and then when I took it out and put it back in again now the light is off, should the light be on or off?

Dont really get what I did to change anything like....

SkScotchegg

Soldato
The light on the floppy should turn green then off again as the PC boots.
I'm not sure but like I said above, I had a very very very similar story. And it turned out to be the cable! They go for 50pence from any highstreet shop. Buy one and try it tbh.

Soldato
SkScotchegg said:
OK well I guess you must be right, I'll have to get one of them then, cheers man.

SkScotchegg

Well i'm not saying i'm right. I'm viable for your wasted 50pence if it still doesn't work however it's likely it is the cable! ;)
(BTW if not just get another floppy drive for a fiver)

Man of Honour
You have got the cable connected the right way around? I was caught out like this before and it turned out i had the cable plugged in wrong. The cable should have a red cable at the very end of one side. With the FDD installed and the right way up, looking at it from the back the red cable plugs into pin 1 which is usually the leftmost pin. If in doubt take your FDD out and see if it has any markings on it as to where pin 1 sits. Mine does and it's the left. Same on both pc's. Try that and see if it works.

If you already know this just ignore me. ;)

Soldato
OP
Yeah I think I have the cable the wrong way around or something because everything is working perfectly now, the floppy drive works again so the cable must be ok after all. Thanks for your help all.

Not sure what was wrong but must have been the cable wrong way around coz I unplugged it all and put it back it and now it works.

SkScotchegg :D

Back
Top Bottom