I could really use some upgrade advice.

Associate
Hello.

My main game is World of Warcraft which is just about to release a new expansion and my PC, that was fine pre expansion is struggling a little now (I usually play on full settings in 4K but I have to turn the graphic settings down now) so I've decided to upgrade.

Although I don't have a budget as such, I don't really want to spend anymore than £1400 but it is flexible.

I would like to get a new Motherboard, CPU and 64GB Ram*, I'd also would really like to get a new GPU (but it can wait), I currently have a RTX 2070* and my PSU is 1200w.

*I also play Forza Horizon 5, Cities skylines, Microsoft Flight Simulator and Skyrim with as many mods as my system will allow (very few currently but I want more) and use a Quest 3 for PCVR and am partial to having many, many tabs open in Firefox, I've hit 95% Ram usage before, I have 32GB DDR4 and my GPU doesn't like these games much either. I also plan when my system is upgraded to play Baldur's gate 3 and Starfield.

Brand wise, I don't mind if it's Intel, AMD or Nvidia. Overall I just want the best I can get for the money.

I've done a fair bit of research myself and have an idea of what to buy I'm just asking here first in case anything I've come up with is incompatible with each other, e.g. I buy the wrong type of ram for my new motherboard e.t.c.

Thank you all for looking.

The case is a great big EVGA thing, I think it's called an DG-87? cooler I'm not sure but I can get another one.

I'm fine for storage devices right now.

Thank you.

What is your current system exactly?

I ask because WoW loves X3D cache and I believe the same is true of Skylines, to a degree where it's not uncommon for the 5700X3D to outperform current gen Intel as an example. Said chip is around the £200 mark and would be an easy drop in if you're running an AM4 setup, you'd have a lot left over for a new GPU that way and 4K isn't kind on the graphics card. Usually speaking 4K is GPU dependent but you're in the odd boat of running very CPU intensive games as well.

Switching to 64gb would be easy enough too.
i5-11400F, MSI B560 Motherboard (Not sure what model), RTX 2070 & 32GB DDR 4.

Best I can do for a ballpark build:

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,513.87 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

X3D isn't fussed about RAM speed so I went with the cheapest 64gb set, for your usage I wouldn't go below a 7900XT personally or if you have a Nvidia preference the 4070ti Super (not the regular), but they're a good chunk more expensive.

It's M-ATX as that's my preference, you could spec a similar ATX build if necessary for the same sort of price.
Thank you so much.

Quite a bit of that basket I don't need, like the case, PSU and SSD.

As mentioned in my original post I did have an idea of what I wanted and the 7800X3D was the chip I was looking at.

Ram wise I was looking at the Corsair Vengeance EXPO 64GB (2X32GB) DDR5 PC5-48000C30 6000MHz Dual Channel CAS 30-36-36-76, would that work with the motherboard you suggested? I mean is there any reason that the ram I'm looking at wouldn't work with a particular motherboard or will it fit all DDR5 boards?

And you would recommend Radeon over Nvidia? I don't mind which I get but I have been looking at a few videos on DLSS and FSR and most people seem to think DLSS is better though to my eyes I can't tell much difference and although FSR 2 or 3 have not been updated for World of Warcraft they did use FSR 1 for Shadowlands I believe.

Thank you so much for all your help.

This assumes you re-use case, PSU and storage.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,474.91 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

This is a complete build:

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,429.87 (includes delivery: £0.00)​
Wonderful, Thank you.

So that's two votes for the 7800X3D and I had that on my list as well, so I'll get that.

I will reuse the case, PSU and storage.

The Ram I was looking at is the one you suggested but the 6000MHz EXPO version - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...00c30-6000mhz-dual-channel-mem-crs-02841.html will this memory or the one you suggested fit all DDR5 motherboards?

Lastly I guess it's either the RTX 4070S TI vs the RX7900XT.

Thank you.

£420 (incl. VAT)
£330 (incl. VAT)
FREE DELIVERY
£240 (incl. VAT)
£180 (incl. VAT)
£510 (incl. VAT)
£470 (incl. VAT)
£120 (incl. VAT)
£105 (incl. VAT)
FREE DELIVERY
Last edited:
Thank you both for all your help.

One last question if you don't mind, the 7800X3D being an AM5 chip, there seems to be three types of motherboards available for it, the B650 you both suggested along with the A620 and the X670. Is there any major differences between the three? Some of the X670's are comparable in price to the B650's.

Thank you again.

I'm considering delaying the GPU for a month and getting the 7950X3D over the 7800X3D.

I've looked at a gazillion compare sites between the two and some say it's marginal in favour of the 7950 and others go as far as to describe the 7950 as twice as good as the 7800.

Do you think it's wise to get the 7950X3D and delay the GPU a month or stay with the 7800X3D or perhaps there is a better CPU I'm not considering?

Thank you.

The 7950X3D is potentially twice as good if you do fully multithreaded work because you have 16 cores instead of 8, but not for games it is not needed and adds unnecessary complications.
Thank you.

I'm considering it as I don't intend to buy another CPU for a good few years, will the other cores ever likely to be utilised for gaming or shall I just stick with the 7800X3D?

Based on past history, no.

The single core/thread speed of CPUs increases far faster than the cores give you a meaningful benefit. For example: if you went for a 5950X in the last gen (16 core CPU), it gets beaten in games by a 7600 (6 core).

I think 8 cores will be pretty safe for games in the next 4-5 years, probably longer, until the single core/thread speed of your CPU is too slow anyway.
Amazing, Thank you.

I'll stick with the 7800X3D as suggested.

Thank you again for all your help.

Back
Top Bottom