I don’t have any MagSafe products, am I missing out?

Caporegime
I’ve had my iPhone 14Pro now for almost a year and still have no MagSafe product.

In the car I use my Brodit holder, at home it charged either with a old Anker vertical Qi charger or a wired.

I don’t have any of those accessories like the wallet or the ring grip stand thing, am I missing out?

Last edited:
Soldato
Don't think so. It's a nice to have (I don't have an iPhone, but coworkers do and use MagSafe) but it's not part of the experience that you're missing out on. Actually most people I know don't have any MagSafe accessories.

Soldato
For me, yes. Its a game changer.

I have an anker cube which is amazing and I have a magsafe charger in the car.

I never have to faff about with cables to charge. Just place the phone and it automatically sits perfectly and starts charging. Have an anker MagSafe battery pack too, which saves me having to carry a cable when out and about.

I don’t have any those wallets or that nonsense ring pull stuff (imo). The charging/holding is just such a great feature. It’s faster than Qi and I found you sometimes had to adjust it after placing it. No big deal but i reckon it would be annoying if I had to go back.

Last edited:
Commissario
Not at all. I have one in the car on a Brodit mount but it was never any hardship with the previous mount that wasn’t MagSafe.

I don’t charge my phone wirelessly at all apart from when in the car.

Soldato
I have been using a Mophie wireless charger for years now and with the exception of some very minor alignment issues, I have no issues with it. A couple of years ago, I saw this wireless charger from Native Union, which I loved the look of but I could never justify the price of it, especially since it would provide no benefit over the Mophie one I already had. I came across the Native Union charger not to long ago at a price which was slightly more reasonable but if I was going to change from the Mophie one, it would have to at least be a MagSafe charger otherwise I may as well keep the one I currently have. In the end, even though a MagSafe charger would always perfectly align itself and would give me the option to use the phone while it's charging, I went with the Native Union wireless charger and I am extremely happy with it. It provides no more functionality than the Mophie one but it looks awesome in blue. :D

Last edited:
Caporegime
I’ve seen no end of people complain of battery degradation being faster using wireless charger or in car wireless charging. I use a wired charger. When I used my wife’s wireless charging in car the phone damn hot. I wouldn’t care if I changed my phone every year or two but I keep mine for years.

Soldato
I have a 13 and have never even really looked into the Magsafe stuff. I assume you need a Magsafe specific case (or no case at all) to be able to use these magnetic mounts in the first place?

I might be considering upgrading the ICE in my car to add Appleplay in the near future, so it might become a consideration then.

Soldato
I use the "duo" charger, so at bedtime, I can charge my watch and phone at the same time, and the tilt adjust on the watch charger allows me to use it as a clock when the disc stand is "vertical".

Soldato
My watch is a series 3. Among the things which apparently can't be done with this older series (but I think are both possible with newer ones) are:
Getting the screen to stay on when it's on the charging stand.
Getting your phone to still play notification noises when it's locked and you have your watch on. (Because I constantly manage to not notice my watch buzzing.)

Which is very irritating, as I would very much like to do both of these, but they don't seem worth buying a new watch for (and I don't see any reason why these can't be done with this watch.)

I'll be delighted if someone can tell me I'm wrong though!

Associate
I dont think you are missing out if you have the products that perform the same function without the MagSafe , that being said the stand and battery pack I have are just pretty effortless with the MagSafe functionality. If you have to replace anything look at the MagSafe versions maybe, but not unless you need it (I appreciate that goes against everything Apple stands for!!).

Back
Top Bottom