I feel an impending sense of disaster

Associate
For the past few months I've been unwell with stress and worry related to my current job. About a year and half ago I was offered the opportunity to join a new company which was being set up by an ex colleague of mine. At the time I was working for a company I'd been with for 11 years and although stable and somewhat secure it was fairly lacking in any future prospects and growth so I jumped at the opportunity to try something new and exciting, which had real potential for growth and learning new skills.

Fast forward 1.5 years and the company is in some financial trouble, with us having about 2 months of billable work. Its been a rollercoaster of 'feast and famine' these past few months but we have still managed to pay ourselves each month.

During my time with the company I have built a small savings buffer (about 6 months) which will cover the major costs mortgage/bills and I also took out an 'income protection insurance' which if I'm made redundant due to the company folding I can claim enough money for 12 months to support my family without work.

With all that said, I just can't get comfortable with the idea that it could all be over in as little as two months if we don't boost the billable work coming into the company. The thought of having to find another job is daunting but its made worse by the fact that I now have regrets about leaving the original job and oddly feeling jealous of all my old colleagues not having the same worries I do right now.

I'm relatively risk averse but took a big one joining this company because I felt I needed a big change in my life from the old job. How can I reframe my negative thinking in this situation, I have a safety net, but clearly I don't feel this is enough to just let myself go with the flow?

Commissario
You should have gone back.

Associate
Agree with above. You don't like it, it's possible the company may die. Look now and apply for as many as suits you. You have 2 months and a buffer, you have time to look and get a job you like.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's easier to find a job when you're already in a job, so start preparing yourself now, get your CV updated and get on some job boards to get a feel for your worth.

Start having some casual chats with old acquaintances as often your next opportunity isn't far from home. I was made redundant and got 2 offers from referrals from people I knew from years gone by. I dropped them a message on LinkedIn explaining I may be on the market soon and considering options and it went from there. I applied for a.hanful of others and didn't get a look in, so your personal network is really important to your career generally.

Don't shoehorn yourself into a niche as many hiring managers look for experience and potential rather than what you currently do. Keep your CV generic and tailor it slightly for each one you apply for.

Soldato
I think you need a secure job over an exciting job, and this may serve as one of those important life lessons.
Remember that anxiety plus a loss of hope leads to depression, and you very definitely want to avoid that! Keep your hopes high and look for another job.

Back
Top Bottom