• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

I feel like buying GPU's is a form of therapy for me... Anyone else?

Associate
So I've actually had 4 GPU's in 2 years. The list is follows:

6800 (Returned for 6800XT)
6800 XT (Sold and bought 3070 Ti plus a bit of change)
3070 Ti (Current GPU had since July 2021)
3080 12GB (Just bought and will sell 3070 Ti to recover some cost)

That means I've tried 4 different GPU's in one generation. To be fair I wanted a 3080 from the beginning but couldn't get hold of one. I'm fairly confident I'll be happy with the 3080 12GB Strix i just payed £1200 for a bit longer than the 3070 Ti ... Unless those 4080's are released end of the year are actually available and I get really jealous :(

Just getting that box with a new shiny GPU inside is the best feeling in the world...:D

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I’ve had a 6800, 6800XT, 3070 and now I’ve got a 6900XT.

I will probably wait at this point for the next gen, although part of me wants to try out a 3080Ti or 3090 (lols).

To be honest I am constantly changing my PC just for the fun of it. It’s a bit silly, but I enjoy it.

So pretty much the same as me but you ended up with a 6900XT where I wanted a 3080.

Interesting enough the new 3080 12GB is 5% faster in 4K than 6900XT 2% slower at 1440p unless you include Metro Exodus where it's 1% faster. https://www.youtube.com/watchv=maqLX05hMuQ 3080 12GB is basically a Super and way better value than 3080 Ti

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Well that's me out of the GPU rat race. I'm balls deep and up to my eyeballs in finance for awhile. Do whatever it takes to have the best though right? ;) Time to try and flog my 3070. Going ignore news i hear about the 4000 series for the next 6 months. The Strix is easily the most premium card i've ever owned. Feels like Christmas for me... proper chuft!!!!

All for the bargain price of just £1250 :D:D:D

20220315-172239.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
That has got to be the most exciting unboxing of a graphics card I've opened. They even include a ruler with your Strix to measure the size of your Manhood :cry: and also Strix shiny Pokemon style trading card??? The GPU itself weighs a ton and is built like a tank... I think I've suddenly become an ASUS / ROG fanboy. Lol... :D

20220316-061644.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
That has got to be the most exciting unboxing of a graphics card I've opened. They even include a ruler with your Strix to measure the size of your Manhood :cry: and also Strix shiny Pokemon style trading card??? The GPU itself weighs a ton and is built like a tank... I think I've suddenly become an ASUS / ROG fanboy. Lol... :D

20220316-061644.jpg

Let's not forget this post folks :p

Associate
OP
That's great didn't know about the extra's it's a bargain, you seem happy with the card that's all that matter's.

If I only had a 3060Ti I'd be jealous too ;)

You also have the option for the FE 3080ti £1049 it's one of the cards that stay instock for awhile so have enough time when alerted of the drop , 3090 stays instock for hours

The 3080, 3060ti and 3070 are the ones that sell out within min

1) None of those FE cards in stock. 2) Some people must finance their GPU's. :)

Associate
OP
I'm actually on benefits and took the £1250 out on 0% finance to get the card. Everybody thinks they can afford their payment plan until they can't afford their payment plan. Yes you could say I'm living way beyond my means... ;)

Associate
OP
Someone on the dole is eligible for 0% finance? Who is this this magic bean lender?

My best friend... Her name is Klarna :D

There's no magic lender. He's just trolling for attention. Trying to make people gasp at his ridiculous claims.

Shows how little you know :cry:

I admire your honesty. It's done now anyway, guess benefits payment is sort of guaranteed, so as long as you make the payments before the usual (2yrs) of 0% So ~£52 a month then you wont pay any interest. Maybe you don't drink/smoke. You're a skinny racing snake that doesn't eat much. You don't feel the cold so minimize heating expenses, though the card makes a good room heater at full tilt. If you are affording it and you are sensible then it's better than p*****g it up the wall. Can always sell it if things changed financially. Hopefully you'll gain some employment anyway. Enjoy your beast of a card.

It's actually 10 monthly payments of £125. I also have other things that i've financed like a private number plate :p

You absolute mad lad! You must love those extra frames! All the best, though.

Thanks!!! I could do with some Xenons for my Audi V6.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Uhm I doubt he is trolling, my credit score is generally sub par yet I can loan 3k working, if this person has never missed a payment then that matters much more.
They do also ask you what your outgoing money is upon applying.

Yep I made up a rough figure of my income then said I was a student with no outgoing. Was delighted when they accepted me for a £1250 GPU. Felt like getting free stuff tbh :p

Also Klarna is excellent for building your credit score, I use it on small purchases, my score on clearscore went from 195 to 788 since using it since it came out.

Definitely is. My credit score is about 550. I can't get finance with anyone accept Klarna.

Associate
OP
So £125 per month for the 3090 + monthly payments for the "Audi V6" + monthly payments for the "personalised number plate".

I don't understand that need for something you don't have cash for. I could pay cash for several 3090s if I wanted. I'm in that position for 3 reasons.

1. I didn't buy a 3090
2. I didn't buy an Audi V6
3. I didn't buy a personalised number plate.

Surely it feels nicer to have the money in your bank? That's not a rhetorical question by the way. I'm just thinking out loud. Baffled by all this borrowing.

1. It's a 3080.
2. The Audi is a 2005 (but still looks decent) i bought that with cash from a "herbal venture" a while ago.
3. I did that on Klarna too.

Credit can be used to save money as odd as this sounds, you pay fragments of what you owe whilst your bank account still accrues money.
That's how I do it as I needed to build my credit score.

Quite how this gentleman manages on the dole is beyond me, I am on a modest wage.

Well like you said I pay the bare minimum each month and I'm currently not paying any rent (moved back to parents).

Associate
OP
The best bit is he's only got a 1080p monitor, so he's overpaid by £500 for a 3080 on credit, money he'll never get back as prices are crashing now, and he's got a vastly under-utilised card - on the plus side, it says Strix on it, there's a little ruler that comes with it and pokemon-style card...

:cry:

Don't rub salt in the wound. I really want the Dell Alienware AW3423DW :(

Back
Top Bottom