I find the lack of G-Sync Monitors, Disturbing

Soldato
. Freesync is obviously not going anywhere with mainstream support and wider compatibility

let me see.
Intel new APUs. Check.
AMD APU and GPU. Check
XBoneX. Check.
Next Playstation. Check.
Nvidia Laptops. Check. (the gsync laptops have no gsync module, they are using adaptive syn to work).

On the other hand nothing but nvidia supports gsync.... And the monitors except they are more expensive, they are crap with issue, and especially those related to gsync modules.

Man of Honour
Most of the issues with G-Sync monitors are the same issues across monitors as a whole - industry wide poor quality control. I'm not aware of any particular issue with the G-Sync module itself.

Associate
Most of the issues with G-Sync monitors are the same issues across monitors as a whole - industry wide poor quality control. I'm not aware of any particular issue with the G-Sync module itself.

Aye G-Sync has been the best upgrade I have done for years. Transformed gaming for me. Used 3 and never had any G-Sync related issues with them.

Associate
We are going around in circles with people citing their experiences but let try and draw some conclusion here. Maybe worth doing a poll?

How many people are using Radeon GPU with Freesync here?
How many use Nvidia GPU with non Gsync monitors and what is gaming like? Both 4k and 2k, and what are some strong options here in the under £500 price range?
Most important of all: How many people here use Gsync and swear by it after experiencing Freesync as well or just a normal gaming monitor.

My worry is that although I see a lot of push on here (I am doing a wild guess now, but around 60-70% seem to be saying Freensync will win and should be the winner), but what I want to know is what do they use today?

Am I right to guess that most people generally still use 60Hz standard either 4k/2k panels for gaming?

Last edited:
Permabanned
Using standard 60hz monitor.
Have Nvidia GPU. Wouldn't buy AMD GPU.
Can't buy Freesync because GPU doesn't support it.
Won't buy Gsync due to quality control issues and price.

Associate
Using standard 60hz monitor.
Have Nvidia GPU. Wouldn't buy AMD GPU.
Can't buy Freesync because GPU doesn't support it.
Won't buy Gsync due to quality control issues and price.

Absolutely the same place I'm standing right now.

I'm considering dropping adaptive sync as at 144hz+ I hear that you barely notice the screen tearing. I'm looking at two apparently identical monitors, one is Freesync the other is G-Sync, and the price difference is £499 vs £749. I'd rather invest that £250 on other stuff.

Soldato
We are going around in circles with people citing their experiences but let try and draw some conclusion here. Maybe worth doing a poll?

How many use Nvidia GPU with non Gsync monitors and what is gaming like? Both 4k and 2k, and what are some strong options here in the under £500 price range?
Most important of all: How many people here use Gsync and swear by it after experiencing Freesync as well or just a normal gaming monitor.

My worry is that although I see a lot of push on here (I am doing a wild guess now, but around 60-70% seem to be saying Freensync will win and should be the winner), but what I want to know is what do they use today?

Am I right to guess that most people generally still use 60Hz standard either 4k/2k panels for gaming?

in the extreme long run, freesync probably will "win" in terms of it will still be around and gsync will stop being produced, however at this point that happening looks like it is years away, nvidia don't and won't support freesync until forced e.g. sales of gsync falls off a cliff, which isn't showing any signs of happening while nvidia has an extreme dominating position in the GPU market - gsync is a gamers tech and gamers are buying nvidia cards so many will end up buying gsync as its the only option

freesync monitors will be outselling gsync ones, for sure, but not in terms of losing sales for gsync because they are operating in different markets effectively, people buying monitors to work with APU's or xbox's were never going to be buying a gsync monitor and high end GPU, so it isn't a "lost" sale in that sense

AMD developed freesync in direct response to gsync, they did it to try to stave off lost sales to gsync+GPU, to try to win back market share, but in a quarter where they released a new product and sold an extra 600k GPU's, nvidia's sales jumped by 3 million units - seems a pretty safe conclusion that most of those 3.6m sales were high end GPU's, so percentage wise the market for gsync monitors grew by 5 times more than the high end freesync market. As a product that generates 0 revenue and serves only to try to prevent a competitor from gaining sales, it doesn't seem to be "winning" much at the moment.

Even if they stop producing new gsync monitors, the old ones will still work, so people with gsync monitors aren't suddenly going to buy freesync ones if the gsync they have it still fit for purpose. Nvidia are doing loads of research in VR/AR at the moment with patenting panel technologies and so on, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if they either come out with a licence-able VR helmet design, or release their own headset, but again that could still be years away, its at that sort of point that I see them giving up on new gsync as it won't be where the money is anymore anyway. People are trying to make out this is like HD-DVD vs Bluray type situation and that buying gsync is a mistake - but this isn't remotely the same, a gsync monitor will still work regardless of what happens, where as a HD-DVD player became a paperweight due to them not making the discs, there isn't any content that would suddenly stop working with gsync.

what happens with gsync/freesync in 5 years time is basically irrelevant, one of them is generating revenue right now and the other isn't

Last edited:
Soldato

I had Freesync + AMD GPU, and could swear to it's name, as they say in Greece. XL2730Z regardless the TN panel, worked absolutely beautiful with the 295X2, Nano & FuryX.
Tried GTX1080 @2190 with the same monitor for few months, and went back to FuryX. The extra fps over loss of Freesync ain't worth.

This summer got a GTX1080Ti for my b-day, because of TWW2 (FuryX runs out of VRAM). Perfect card for 2560x1440, and still using it with the 2730Z. But usual issues exist even at 117fps with 120hz monitor set.
Unfortunately the 2730Z is one of those incompatible monitors, that Nvidia hasn't solve the sound issue at 144hz (over the monitor DP connector), since their August 2016 drivers and have to run it at 120hz.
(it worked until the end of July 2016, because I had the 1080 then and saw the issue). In addition, since the September drivers this year, all games have to run at border-less window mode, because there is no sound on fullscreen mode at 120hz have to drop 100hz. (again sound over DP). FYI with the FuryX tested since, no issue, getting sound over DP at 144hz or fullscreen mode.

Unfortunately a month now trying to find a good gsync monitor, and there isn't any that I would buy and know that will work. (the XL2730Z is dead so the backup LG 25" 2560x1080 75hz is out, with Freesync also)
Gsync monitors are overpriced, and there is not such big selection as Freesync monitors to upgrade over the XL2730Z.
Examples. C34F791 is absolutely amazing monitor, no competitor in the whole Gsync lineup on both response times and picture quality. Z35P or it's sibling the AOC, are not good monitor for the money compared to that Samsung, with gazillion issues reported at OCNET, that were driver & gsync module related, but took NV months to resolve. (explains a lot about NV driver quality).

C32HG70, another great monitor and waiting it's gsync version, the C32HG75, since June, with unknown date to come out.
The only monitor that is in par of this at size/resolution is the LG32GK850G, but not at picture quality (Color Gamut (CIE1931) 72%, 8bit).
And then there is the AOC Q3279VWF at £199, Freesync, 2560x1440 etc..... Thats the NV markup of the gsync module!!!!!
Lets the price into perspective. Someone could buy the Red Devil Vega 64 and the Q3279VWF for less (£720-725) than the price of a good GTX1080Ti......

And here is the LG lineup for March 2018.

- 34" Ultrawide Curved, Nano IPS, 3440x1440, G-Sync 120Hz, DCI-P3 98%
- 34" Ultrawide Curved, Nano IPS, 3440x1440, Freesync, 144Hz, HDR, DCI-P3 98%
- 32" 2560x1440 VA, G-Sync, 165Hz
- 32" 2560x1440 IPS, Freesync, 1ms 144Hz, HDR
- 32" 2560x1440 IPS, 1ms 144Hz,
- 27" 1920x1080 TN, Freesync, 1ms 240Hz

Sure, there are 2-3 3440x1440 200hz HDR gsync monitors are coming out, but their Freesync counterpart using the same panel, by the same manufacturer, going to be £200+ cheaper. Nothing exclusive
And who buys £1500 34" gsync monitor? That's 55" OLED money.....

Soldato
let me see.
Intel new APUs. Check.
AMD APU and GPU. Check
XBoneX. Check.
Next Playstation. Check.
Nvidia Laptops. Check. (the gsync laptops have no gsync module, they are using adaptive syn to work).

On the other hand nothing but nvidia supports gsync.... And the monitors except they are more expensive, they are crap with issue, and especially those related to gsync modules.

To be fair G-sync isn't going anywhere soon either.

Consoles (especially the PS pro) don't have the grunt to push 4tv's with decent detail in gaming consistently in a lot of scenarios at 60fps (having to resort to downscaling) never mind above that. We're not going to to see 'next' gen consoles for a few more years.

AMD are and have been for some time a complete no show for top end Gpu's if you want reliable performance across a wide range of games. A VEGA 64 can't keep up with a 1080ti that was out over a year before VEGA's release.

If your a high end PC gamer the best option has been and still is G-sync. Bang for buck/ mid range and AMD/freesync becomes more relevant.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sure, there are 2-3 3440x1440 200hz HDR gsync monitors are coming out, but their Freesync counterpart using the same panel, by the same manufacturer, going to be £200+ cheaper. Nothing exclusive
And who buys £1500 34" gsync monitor? That's 55" OLED money.....

Are you sure they are the same panel? If so why is the gsync version delayed to allow for 1000cd/m2 where as the current freesync "HDR" monitors are 400cd/m2?

Soldato
Those brand new AUO HDR panels, are coming in both Gsync and Freesync monitors. I am not talking about other panels.

do you have any links to the announcements? because the same time they announced the gsync ones and freesync ones those specs I listed were announced, I've not seen any announcements of freesync 1000cd/m2 monitors?

I just googled 1000cd/m2 freesync and the only links coming up are freesync at 400 and gsync at 1000.

Associate
To be fair G-sync isn't going anywhere soon either.

Consoles (especially the PS pro) don't have the grunt to push 4tv's with decent detail in gaming consistently in a lot of scenarios at 60fps (having to resort to downscaling) never mind above that. We're not going to to see 'next' gen consoles for a few more years.

AMD are and have been for some time a complete no show for top end Gpu's if you want reliable performance across a wide range of games. A VEGA 64 can't keep up with a 1080ti that was out over a year before VEGA's release.

If your a high end PC gamer the best option has been and still is G-sync. Bang for buck/ mid range and AMD/freesync becomes more relevant.
and that is exactly why I asked the question not long ago. OK! freesync is the way to go. Cheaper gpu and monitor and gives you the same as gsync with its premium ...yet nobody seems to use amd around here at least. I've also looked for a good 144 hz 1440p monitor non gsync and yes there are cheaper ones but a good ones still hits 500 quid. So not really sure where the savings are unless someone can point out a good setup they have for 30% less cash

I have looked at many monitor reviews on different websites that sell them and I have not seen one guy mention using freesync with a radeon gpu. In fact the only combinations I have seen is nvidia + generic/freesync monitor (and obviously not using sync at all, just 144 hz or 60hz gaming)

Last edited:
Soldato
and that is exactly why I asked the question not long ago. OK! freesync is the way to go. Cheaper gpu and monitor and gives you the same as gsync with its premium ...yet nobody seems to use amd around here at least. I've also looked for a good 144 hz 1440p monitor non gsync and yes there are cheaper ones but a good ones still hits 500 quid. So not really sure where the savings are unless someone can point out a good setup they have for 30% less cash

I have looked at many monitor reviews on different websites that sell them and I have not seen one guy mention using freesync with a radeon gpu. In fact the only combinations I have seen is nvidia + generic/freesync monitor (and obviously not using sync at all, just 144 hz or 60hz gaming)

I answered to your post. Up to few months ago I was using Freesync exclusively.
For two and half years, had no issues with it, and worked wonders even when game were playing at 50-55fps.

Associate
I answered to your post. Up to few months ago I was using Freesync exclusively.
For two and half years, had no issues with it, and worked wonders even when game were playing at 50-55fps.
thanks! just really want to get a feel of what others are using
I am returning my monitor now (32" IPS Predator gsync) as not very happy with the artifacts randomly showing and the general experience with it so wanna figure out what to buy next

Soldato

I used both AMD/Freesync, Nvidia/Gsync. Both work, no noticeable differences between them. Was I happy with both: yes. Would I willingly go back to a regular monitor? No.

The difference is cost and what performance/size you're looking for. The high end is owned by Nvidia if you're looking at ultrawide/ultra high res monitors and maxxing out game details then your only choice is Nividia, and you pay a premium for it. If you're in the market for a smaller monitor and/or not concerned with ultra-everything, then AMD/Freesync are better value.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom