I hate the USB 3.0 header connector

Soldato
Whilst trying to attach a cable to the USB 3.0 header on the motherboard I managed to bend some pins. Made a few enquires with local electronics repair companies and one guy offered to straighten them for free.

I took him up on his offer as he seemed to be very knowledgeable having fixed PS5s and all kinds of circuit boards, this guy knew what he was doing.

Photos of before and after... I offered to pay for it but he wouldn't take my money, nice chap I wish his business all the success in the future and will recommend to many.

nkk85go.jpeg

BkQBoXo.jpeg

R2Q20VB.jpeg

Soldato
Wow you proper mangled those. Honestly don't know how you damaged them so badly, did you just bend the header out of the socket?

I bought an extension and had no problems.

Soldato
OP
Wow you proper mangled those. Honestly don't know how you damaged them so badly, did you just bend the header out of the socket?

I bought an extension and had no problems.
It was my ******* case cable, it wasn't long enough to insert into the USB header on the motherboard plus I wasn't doing it right. So I was ******* about trying to plug in a cable wrongly which wouldn't reach. Bought a extension cable and am using that now. The guy at repair firm showed me how to plug in properly so I won't **** up again.

Last edited:
Soldato
I was just thinking this yesterday when I rebuilt my PC into a new case, I dont know why theyve never changed the design, those USB 3.0 headers are so fragile, and very unforgiving, the cables no matter how they design them (flat or round) are always non flexable, its never been like this before, USB 2 header and the new USB 3.1 headers are dead easy to work with, but it doesnt seem to matter how much you line the cable up, you can hear the pins scraping as if they are not going in properly, especially if the port is angled and you cant actually see the pins, ive bent many pins in the past and just straightened them myself with an exacto knife.

Last edited:
Associate
Impressive work from the guy who fixed it, I only bent 1 pin on mine… tried to bend it back and ended up snapping it :o

Soldato
Soldato
OP
Give you a tip, buy an extension cable for the usb 3.0 as these don't fit in so tightly and can be removed with ease, this is what I've done in my pc.
Yeah I needed an extension cable anyway to reach the socket, I should have stopped, taken stock of the situation and ordered an extension cable before cack handedly trying to fit it when it was never going to fit. All it did was bend the socket pins.

Soldato
OP
Impressive work from the guy who fixed it, I only bent 1 pin on mine… tried to bend it back and ended up snapping it :o
There's a guy in this YouTube video who fixed a snapped pin on a motherboard. It was a £400 motherboard though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vOEawHHs4w

You can also buy a new USB 3.0 motherboard header socket on eBay and get someone to solder it on for you. Shouldn't be too expensive.

Back
Top Bottom