• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

I have my new card, what monitoring software to use?

Associate
Hey all, just got a nice spangly new 4070 Super and keen to see a bit of detail in my games from now on :D

What monitoring software would you recommend?

I had a look at the performance overlay in the nvidia app, but I cannot get it to show on my second screen, only the one where Im playing.

Associate
Doesn't the new software thing they just brought out work properly then? This is the type of thing people don't buy AMD products for.

Soldato
Don't install any of them. Just play with your new toy, if it works it works
Monitoring your games is a helpful way to make sure everything is acting as it should be, and quickly diagnose any issues that might arise. It's a button press to hide the display.

It's helpful for things like capping frames, adding custom fan curves etc also.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hey all, just got a nice spangly new 4070 Super and keen to see a bit of detail in my games from now on :D

What monitoring software would you recommend?

I had a look at the performance overlay in the nvidia app, but I cannot get it to show on my second screen, only the one where Im playing.

I use a mix of Afterburner/Rivatuner and HWINFO to monitor and control both CPU/GPU.

Last edited:
Associate
Slightly OT but related...

Due to a bonus burning a hole in my pocket, I am planning on picking up a 4070 Super to replace my 3060ti. I already use RivaTuner/Afterburner to undervolt.
When I get the 4070S, would it be better to do a clean driver install, or just drop it in? Will afterburner just recognise the new card?

Soldato
Slightly OT but related...

Due to a bonus burning a hole in my pocket, I am planning on picking up a 4070 Super to replace my 3060ti. I already use RivaTuner/Afterburner to undervolt.
When I get the 4070S, would it be better to do a clean driver install, or just drop it in? Will afterburner just recognise the new card?
The driver will sort itself out when Windows starts. You can do the whole DDU thing if you're paranoid, but you won't have any issues if you're replacing one Nvidia card with another (unless you're using some ancient driver version that doesn't support the 4070 Super). Afterburner uses hardware IDs to manage things, so the profiles you set up for your old card won't show up and it'll just be a blank slate. It keeps everything backed up though, so if you were to put your old card back in for any reason it'll restore the profiles you had set up for it.

Associate
The driver will sort itself out when Windows starts. You can do the whole DDU thing if you're paranoid, but you won't have any issues if you're replacing one Nvidia card with another (unless you're using some ancient driver version that doesn't support the 4070 Super). Afterburner uses hardware IDs to manage things, so the profiles you set up for your old card won't show up and it'll just be a blank slate. It keeps everything backed up though, so if you were to put your old card back in for any reason it'll restore the profiles you had set up for it.
Thank you. Just the answer I wanted. :)

Soldato
For day to day monitoring I like the the sensor panel feature of AIDA64 Extreme as with a bit of effort you can make it look how you want.

I'm glad I did as I recently experienced thermal paste pump-out on my watercooled 4090 and the sensor panel is the only reason why I noticed, not to make anybody paranoid or anything!

embed

Back
Top Bottom