I installed Windows with VMD disabled - so as to see SSDs. Will this lead to problems?

Associate
Hello folks

So I finally built my new system and started installing windows from USB, but when asked where I wanted to install Windows, the option box was empty. I had a Samsung 980 Pro installed but the installation process was not detecting it. It just said "We couldn't find any drives. To get a storage driver, click Load driver" and clocking Load Driver was a dead end.
A bit of googling revealed that maybe if I disabled something called 'VMD' then maybe my drive would show up. So I disabled VMD in bios, tried the installation process again, and sure enough, thus time my drive showed up and I could continue with the installation.
All good.
Then I noticed that I couldn't subsequently install Intel Rapid Storage Technology. Not a biggie but it just made me think something might be amiss.
Then someone on Linus Tech forum said I should've kept VMD enabled, but had some Intel RST driver packages also present on the bootable USB, and then pointed to them when the "Load driver" option appeared.
Now I'm concerned that by disabling VMD - which I cannot now re-enable - I've installed Windows in some kind of imperfect state, especially because the guy on LTT said that VMD even enhances NVME performance.
What do you think?
I haven't added much beyond Windows. Do you think I should reinstall, but this time follow the method that lets me do it with VMD enabled?

Thanks

Associate
Hi, if you are able to enable VMD and saw no difference in benchmark performance on a WD BLACK 850 so I am using the PC without VMD as I’ve heard there might be some compatibility issues with some software.

Associate
OP
Hi, if you are able to enable VMD and saw no difference in benchmark performance on a WD BLACK 850 so I am using the PC without VMD as I’ve heard there might be some compatibility issues with some software.

I think I'm being silly and don't quite understand the structure of your sentence.
Are you recommending to me that if I am able I should enable VMD?
But then you mention you benchmarked - with VMD enabled and disabled? - and saw no difference, is that right?
It's clear you've decided to go with VMD disabled. So does that mean there really are no performance/stability advantages to having it enabled?
Interesting what you say about possible compatibility issues too. Can you link to some info about that please?

This is such a fundamental stage. I don't want to be laying a foundation and realise I've omitted something that could lead to problems in future.

Thanks very much.

Associate
@jamieboo have you run crystaldisk/benchmark to see your SSD is performing as expected? If it's good I'd just leave it as it is.

In theory though there is probably a way to swap between drivers again without reformatting/losing data.

Back
Top Bottom