I just bought The Witcher

Associate
Basically, I have never played an RPG game. I missed out on the whole Final Fantasy/WoW/Elder Scrolls thing. Closest I ever came was a demo of some ww2 based RPG back in 2002ish (name would be cool, if anyone has any idea?). I vaguely remember enjoying that brief experience.

Anyway, I just grabbed the Platinum/enhanced edition of The Witcher from GAME for £5. Remember hearing on the net that it's a good RPG, and i'm looking for something to break into the genre, and get my teeth stuck into. I'm the sort of person to actively avoid the trend, so I didn't even look at Skyrim or other popular titles.

Before I install this, anyone have any tips, advice, anecdotes? Any advice specific to Windows 7? Will be installing in the morning.

Thanks guys.

Soldato
Advice?

Just play it :)

It's a really good game I'd say better than FF/WoW IMO. Even on Normal/Difficult it's still playable for a beginner, just requires a bit more collecting of items for alchemy.

I wish I could forget all about it so I could play it again as a new player, the music and general atmosphere is really great in the game.

uv

uv

Soldato
pro-tip - put all your points into igni :p

by the end of the game with philter potions, I was one-shotting most stuff with maxed igni :D

Soldato
as above really, you should patch it with the latest unofficial patch though when you do install it which includes game fixes etc but the game runs fine on win7

Associate
The fighting control system will seem horrible at first. I hated this game at first. Stick with it, it will get better.

Soldato
Same with me, played for 2hours and didnt bother, witcher 2 is ALOT better. Alot.

Soldato
You have chosen a brilliant RPG but it can be quite unforgiving also. You have to try and ignore the tutorial chapter as it is soooooo boring and will make you want to turn the game off. Stick past those first two hours and you realise just how epic this game is :)

Huw

Huw

Associate
Yeah I completely agree with what others have said - don't be put off by the first hour or so of the game. It gets much better.

Soldato
Witcher 2 is nowhere near as good as the first, it may look better but everything else Witcher 1 wins by a mile.

Very true, it's much longer too. Witcher 2 was alright but it lost it's sort of cool feeling you got when you played Witcher 1. The loading screens and artwork and stuff.

Soldato
Witcher 2 is more of a wannabe console game really - it's all designed around a 360 pad, which badly affects the user interface, and makes the combat system harder on a keyboard and mouse. Looks gorgeous though, and is a slicker experience than the first.

The original is a PC game through and through, and also has a much better story, but has worse production values than the second. I much prefer the original.

Associate
Mixed bag of reviews, but mostly positive! Have to wait until tonight to get stuck in, this weather is too good to miss! :cool:

Soldato
Aard and Igni are the most useful signs.
Make sure you make lots of swallow potions, always keep a few Cat handy, and also a few White Raffard's Decoction are handy for tough battles.

Absolutely loved this game, ending is Epic. Force yourself to endure the first 2 chapters as it's a bit slow until Chapter 3.

Soldato
Absolutely loved this game, ending is Epic. Force yourself to endure the first 2 chapters as it's a bit slow until Chapter 3.

This.

Best ending ever! It took me ages to get through the first 2 chapters, as it is quite slow and I wasn't really getting it, but once I had got through it, I couldn't turn it off.

Like pretty much everyone, i hated the combat at first, then loved it, and missed it once it was over.

Associate
Well I just started playing it. I found the intro very involving, and the combat quite intuitive so far. Unfortunately, i'm struggling to run it with a measly 5450 at the part where I'm defending the lab. The stutters are too much and I got killed, so i've turned it off for now. However, i'll be getting a HD 6850 next friday which will tear this apart. :cool:

Huw

Huw

Associate
I found the intro very involving

Ah yes, it's one of the best game intros I've ever seen. It's taken from the book The Last Wish. Sadly, it's almost the only decent part of the book.