I just spilt 1/2pint of water on my laptop!

Soldato
I'm having such a crap day! :mad:

I just spilt 1/2pint of water on my Dell Inspiron 9400 while it was on... All of the water went onto the keyboard area and within a second or so the laptop turned itself off...
I lifted the laptop off the desk and water came pouring out from the bottom of the laptop, the speakers, etc. :(

Do you think it'll be dead after that?
I have taken it apart and dried as much as I can. I am now leaving it near the airing cupboard and waiting for it to dry out a little more.

Soldato
About 5 years ago I poured a whole glass of red wine into my old travelmate while it was switched on, pretty much what you describe, I had to pick it up and pour it all back out of it.

I took as much of the case off as I could and put it in the airing cupboard overnight, by the next day it was fine when I put it back together, although some of the keys were a bit sticky and made odd noises.

Fast forward 4 years and it was donated to my girlfriend, who did exactly the same thing, again in air cupboard, back together next day, it fired up but keys didnt work, new keyboard off ebay and it was fine.

It's now been given to the missus parents and its still going strong....so don't give up hope, get it stripped best you can and stick it somewhere warm.

Soldato
I watched a tv show, where a guy took a laptop, phone, mp3 player and sat in a paddling pool with them on. His solution to make them all work again was to turn them all off, remove all the batteries, leave in the airing cupboard for a day or more so they dry very slowly, then take them apart and using a ear cleaner, go over all the connections with white spirit as when they dry the connctions get white stuff on them, that shorts them out, even after drying. Most if not all of them woked again.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I think it could be dead, but I will leave it in the airing cupboard overnight.

I tried turning it on after leaving it in the airing cupboard for about 5 hours (probably a bad Idea, I know, but it looked completely dried) and nothing happened except the WiFi light flashed :confused:
It was also making some weird electrical noises and the power lights are not working.
I reckon the motherboard might be ******, but we'll see... :(

Aod

Aod

Soldato
considering it went "Bwooooo" because it was ON when you spilt the water on it, there's an excellent chance its FUBAR'ed.
i hope it's still in warranty. if it is, do NOT mention that you spilt water on it.

Soldato
OP
I left it in the airing cupboard overnight and it's still not working today - completely dead. :(

I just checked my house insurance and luckily the laptop is covered so it's not all bad news. :)

Soldato
considering it went "Bwooooo" because it was ON when you spilt the water on it, there's an excellent chance its FUBAR'ed.
i hope it's still in warranty. if it is, do NOT mention that you spilt water on it.

huuge lol dont tell him that!! i work as an engineer for a company that inspects and repairs for insurance companies and im telling you now they will notice if its had any kind of liquid, even if its dried...yea water is clear, but mixed with all the rubbish that gets into keyboards etc its never ever that simple! plus there is 'always' some liquid somewhere inside the unit still present!!

Back
Top Bottom