I like this Ryzen build, but too expensive, can someone please optimize it

Soldato
you have the wrong GPU for Revit, you need Quadro not GTX, will work but depends on your primary use. but for gaming apart from top end quadro they will be useless.

Plus any reason you are going for Windows 7 instead of 10

Associate
OP
you have the wrong GPU for Revit, you need Quadro not GTX, will work but depends on your primary use. but for gaming apart from top end quadro they will be useless.

Plus any reason you are going for Windows 7 instead of 10

Thanks for your reply :) This is the help I need. What GPU do you recommend?

Soldato
ive done a few cost savings, dropped to 6 core, comes with a cooler. cheaper case, psu, ssd. entry level quadro. i think you should seek advice on this and or look on the bay for second hand , there are loads of slightly older cards out there. also check the bay for windows 10 keys..

you need to add a monitor back in. can highly recommend you look at higher than 1080p though.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £844.07
(includes shipping: £13.20)

Associate
OP
ive done a few cost savings, dropped to 6 core, comes with a cooler. cheaper case, psu, ssd. entry level quadro. i think you should seek advice on this and or look on the bay for second hand , there are loads of slightly older cards out there. also check the bay for windows 10 keys..

you need to add a monitor back in. can highly recommend you look at higher than 1080p though.

Total: £844.07
(includes shipping: £13.20)

Wow... Thnks for this... That's a great saving!! What is the performance difference between the Quadro K620 and the P600? P600 is recomended here to replace the K620

http://www.nvidia.com/object/autodesk-design-suite-find-graphics.html

Soldato
i coulndt answer, i just know that Autodesk products in general prefer quadro. and than anythng but the top end quadro is no good for games.

i would get a base build from OCUK and add a K620 from the bay.. see how you get on, and then decide if you need a GPU with more grunt.

Soldato
You won't be able to add a gaming card for gaming to that motherboard. I'd get a gaming card, with which you can do both things (even if not great for Revit) and in time you can add a Quadro or something. But I'd suggest a motherboard with 2 x PCI-E 3.0 x16 slots.

Associate
OP
You won't be able to add a gaming card for gaming to that motherboard. I'd get a gaming card, with which you can do both things (even if not great for Revit) and in time you can add a Quadro or something. But I'd suggest a motherboard with 2 x PCI-E 3.0 x16 slots.

TBH, I don't think it'll get used for intense gaming. My son mainly plays Minecraft and Roblox. For now anyway :p

What motherboard you recommend?

Soldato
TBH, I don't think it'll get used for intense gaming. My son mainly plays Minecraft and Roblox. For now anyway :p

What motherboard you recommend?

Just a couple questions first:

Will you spend considerably more time working on Revit projects than on rendering them? Working on Revit apparently takes up a couple threads at most, so a CPU with fast cores is preferable to more cores. Whereas when rendering, more cores is beneficial. Depending on your answer, an i7-K or i5-K could be a better bet than Ryzen 1600/1600X or 1700/1700X/1800X.

So for example, say your projects only take an hour, then you render, move on to next project, takes an hour, and you render. More cores better for that. But if you spend considerably more time on each project, then fast cores better.

How much storage, i.e. how many drives can you see yourself adding to the system in total over time? Just for case recommendations.

Associate
OP
Just a couple questions first:

Will you spend considerably more time working on Revit projects than on rendering them? Working on Revit apparently takes up a couple threads at most, so a CPU with fast cores is preferable to more cores. Whereas when rendering, more cores is beneficial. Depending on your answer, an i7-K or i5-K could be a better bet than Ryzen 1600/1600X or 1700/1700X/1800X.

So for example, say your projects only take an hour, then you render, move on to next project, takes an hour, and you render. More cores better for that. But if you spend considerably more time on each project, then fast cores better.

How much storage, i.e. how many drives can you see yourself adding to the system in total over time? Just for case recommendations.

Great questions.... I would spend more time working on the projects than rendering.

I'll only need 2 drives I reckon. SSD and a 1TB HDD. maybe an extra bay in case I change my mind in future.

Thanks

Soldato

Total: £1,119.87
(includes shipping: £15.90)

The contents of the Battlebox are great value for money right now. You cannot beat it by assembling components and building it yourself at the moment*. i5-7600K, Asus Z170-E (capable of running two cards at x8), GTX 1060 6GB, Windows 10, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB, Raijintek Themis cooler, case with space for 2x3.5" and 2x2.5" and 1x5.25".

What I'd suggest is contact OcUK:

Note - If you would like to make a small change to the specification call our sales team on 01782 444455 and they will be happy to help.

and ask them to change the RAM and PSU to the ones in the spec above. With the default PSU and 8GB RAM out of the way, you're looking at around £1,020 total, enough to add a monitor like:

Asus VX24AH 24" IPS 2560x1440 can be found for £206.98.

BenQ BL2420PT 24" IPS 2560x1440 with CAD Mode (not sure what that is) can be found for £209.99.

And keep the total under £1,250.

The reason for that PSU is that it's the most affordable (and of good quality) with more than 2 x PCI-E power connectors (it brings 4). That will allow you more options in the long run, i.e. gaming cards requiring 2 x power connectors plus even Quadros requiring 1 x power connector (some of them do).

Regarding a wireless adapter, I'd recommend trying a USB version first. If it works out great - won't possibly interfere with two video cards in the PCI-E slots.

* Why the Battlebox is such good value right now:

Total: £1,076.46
(includes shipping: £12.60)

Discount code for that GTX 1060 6GB:
Zot1060

So nearly £200 cheaper.

Something else you could ask them about is how much extra cost would it be to remove the i5-7600K (regular price £229.99 currently) and Asus Z170-E (regular price £134.99 currently) and add this bundle instead, which seems good value for money at £399:

Associate
OP

Total: £1,119.87
(includes shipping: £15.90)

The contents of the Battlebox are great value for money right now. You cannot beat it by assembling components and building it yourself at the moment*. i5-7600K, Asus Z170-E (capable of running two cards at x8), GTX 1060 6GB, Windows 10, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB, Raijintek Themis cooler, case with space for 2x3.5" and 2x2.5" and 1x5.25".

What I'd suggest is contact OcUK:

and ask them to change the RAM and PSU to the ones in the spec above. With the default PSU and 8GB RAM out of the way, you're looking at around £1,020 total, enough to add a monitor like:

Asus VX24AH 24" IPS 2560x1440 can be found for £206.98.

BenQ BL2420PT 24" IPS 2560x1440 with CAD Mode (not sure what that is) can be found for £209.99.

And keep the total under £1,250.

The reason for that PSU is that it's the most affordable (and of good quality) with more than 2 x PCI-E power connectors (it brings 4). That will allow you more options in the long run, i.e. gaming cards requiring 2 x power connectors plus even Quadros requiring 1 x power connector (some of them do).

Regarding a wireless adapter, I'd recommend trying a USB version first. If it works out great - won't possibly interfere with two video cards in the PCI-E slots.

* Why the Battlebox is such good value right now:

Total: £1,076.46
(includes shipping: £12.60)

Discount code for that GTX 1060 6GB:
Zot1060

So nearly £200 cheaper.

Something else you could ask them about is how much extra cost would it be to remove the i5-7600K (regular price £229.99 currently) and Asus Z170-E (regular price £134.99 currently) and add this bundle instead, which seems good value for money at £399:

Wow, thank you so much for taking the time to reply with this. Much appreciated. So.... The Geforce, I am being told that these are the wrong card to use for Revit. Would I try and swap that?

And I like the idea of asking them to swap the CPU for an i7, will try that...

Soldato
Something else you can swap if you like:

The Samsung 850 EVO 250GB that comes with the Battlebox is £119.99. The Crucial MX300 525GB is £139.99. For £20 you get twice the storage on SSD.

Everywhere I look, the effective answer to Quadro v GTX is: GTX works, you just don't get Autodesk support for a non-supported card if you need it. But it works and just as good if not better as similar-priced Quadros. Here's the thing, they will know not everyone has a Quadro, and they don't want to limit their market-reach for their program. So despite not "officially" supporting non-workstation cards (they don't support the whole range of workstation cards anyway), it works.

If you did go for a Quadro, this guy says there is little difference when it comes to Revit, between a top-end and low-end Quadro:

Soldato
And here's a guy using Revit with a GTX 960M (and comparing to Quadro K2100M):

So you can either start off with the GTX 1060 6GB and see how it goes, and add a Quadro if needed (motherboard will handle it). Or start off with a Quadro (but I think the vast majority of the savings on the Battlebox are due to a special price on the GTX 1060 they are using for it).

Back
Top Bottom