I may just have achieved a cracking deal!

Associate
Afternoon folks, my son has been saving up his money for the past year under the promise that I will double it at Christmas so he can get himself a half decent gaming pc.
The budget in my mind has been around £1300.
His best mate has just got himself an i5 14400k, 4060ti, 16 gb rig and he wanted the same.
I've spoken to a few people locally that build machines, looked at the various outlets including here and for that budget I could probably scrape a bit more out by going Ryzen and maybe even stretching to a 4070 super. I even thought it would be cool to do the build with him so he gets a deepr understanding of how his machine functions.
However, last night I was chatting to a work colleague who had ordered a load of kit and had it sat around for a few months intending to build himself a rig, only to end up taking a job abroad. He offered me the lot for £1k!
PC.jpg

Ryzen 7800X3D
Asus Proart 4080 Super
Vengence 32GB DDR5 Ram
850 PSU
Cooler

Everything was still sealed and having checked online, the GPU alone is around £1k
So now my lads potentially got an absolutely banging rig that will blow his best mates away (my boys always playing catchup these days as his mates parents are pretty well off by all accounts) as a bonus we'll build together on Christmas day! I'm just after some advice in regards to the missing bits.
Firstly, we need a motherboard, an HDD ideally 2tb and a case for it all to go in.
I need to be realistic here as the budget is £1300, but I also don't want to ruin what could be a cracking system with a cheap MB.
Any suggestions to help me achieve this build

Motherboard= asrock b650m HDV/m.2
SSD any decent one, something like a WD blue sn580
Case of your choosing

but I also don't want to ruin what could be a cracking system with a cheap MB.
Don't worry about it, you can run a 7800X3D on pretty much anything.

Weird choice of cooler, was it going to be ITX?

Edit: just noticed the PSU is SFX too!

Here's an MATX option:

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £365.88 (includes delivery: £11.98)​

£270 (incl. VAT)
£165 (incl. VAT)
£155 (incl. VAT)
£134 (incl. VAT)
Last edited:
Ive been out of the game now for a few years, had to google that! :-)
A standard ATX will suffice
Since the PSU is SFX and the cooler is low profile, you could pick a small case (I assume that was the intention of the original owner), though getting sufficient length for the 4080 would be tricky.

Don't worry about it, you can run a 7800X3D on pretty much anything.

Weird choice of cooler, was it going to be ITX?

Edit: just noticed the PSU is SFX too!

Here's an MATX option:

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £365.88 (includes delivery: £11.98)​
I belive it was going to be in a tiny case that could potentially be portable. I've been away from PC building far too long now, is there a potential issue with the psu being sfx?

£270 (incl. VAT)
£165 (incl. VAT)
£155 (incl. VAT)
£134 (incl. VAT)
A 4080 is around twice the speed of a 4060ti so your lad will definitely have the bragging rights.

Do you already have a monitor as a 4080 will be wasted on anything under 1440p?

Wow, what a result. Kinda jealous lol.

The Asus b650 tuf gaming plus WiFi board is a solid choice although it's generally one of the cheaper motherboards it's quite well built, and does what a motherboard should, the vrms are ok etc. had mine almost 2 years now and seems to be fine and had i on expo from day dot.

A 4080 is around twice the speed of a 4060ti so your lad will definitely have the bragging rights.

Do you already have a monitor as a 4080 will be wasted on anything under 1440p?
He does but I'll need to check what he's got.

Back
Top Bottom