i miss computer stores

Permabanned
Who remembers Beatties?

Back in the 90s, I watched this guy in store playing Doom VR. He was on the treadmill type contraption thing walking about, throwing his fists etc, and it was all relayed onto the dozen or so TVs mounted on the ceiling. It had drawn quite a crowd.

Still don't quite believe what I saw.

Soldato
We had a small computer shop in our town. Sold all sorts of pc bits to go in beige cases. I’m sure he made more money from selling games than anything else, they were pretty expensive. That said, every lunchtime and all weekend he had to suffer all the kids hanging out in the (pretty small) shop waiting for their go on whatever game he had on the one machine he had running. So maybe I won’t hold it against him :D Gauntlet, Bounty Bob Strikes Back and not forgetting Elite and The Price of Magik that you had to use LensLok for.

Soldato
Who remembers Beatties?

Back in the 90s, I watched this guy in store playing Doom VR. He was on the treadmill type contraption thing walking about, throwing his fists etc, and it was all relayed onto the dozen or so TVs mounted on the ceiling. It had drawn quite a crowd.

Still is one in Sutton Coldfield.

V F

V F

Soldato
Who remembers Beatties?

Oh my god. Beatties. That was practically Santa's grotto. Massive model railway on their upstairs. Diecast stuff on the far left of the floor and every action figure brand from the middle to the right and to the checkout. The models you build if I remember correctly were in the floor area below the model railway.

I remember getting Space Hulk from Beatties, 1990 or 91.

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/51706-beaties-model-shop/&page=3

I remember this bag so well.
https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/up...69.jpeg.427cab5db4a7d8722e02f078e9d070e3.jpeg

Soldato
I remember John Menzies being better than Woolworths. Then came WH Smith after John Menzies? I also fondly remember RS Mcoll in the 80s. Mad rush to RS Mcoll for Panini stickers on Saturday mornings.

Funny that.
"RS McColl, commonly known as simply McColl's is a Scottish newsagent company named after Robert Smyth McColl, who was a professional footballer."

It was Peterhead we went to, so it was Woolies, WHSmith, that sort of stuff. Don't recall any Menzies in the town centre there in my time. I remember the RSMcoll in Aberdeen, but that's because my grandma lived just down the road from the one leading towards King St. :D

Caporegime
Ah, the days of playing Sonic 2 in Boots whilst waiting for the bus.

Or booting up a magazine cover floppy, and just playing some demo. Don't think that was Boots, maybe Tandy or something.

Why did Boots even sell Megadrives...?

Back
Top Bottom